Manual Episode Option

With all the naming issues it seems like it would be nice to just be able to set an episode to search with a user defined script/regex.

This way I could temporarily set shows with download issues to use the indexers naming and Sonarr could rename them however it pleases.

It would not be an option for everyone, but chances are with most naming issues the air date is right and a simple tweak to the parsing parameters could at least get the show to download automatically AND show up in manual searches. At it stands if the naming conflicts are too great a show doesn’t even show up in manual.

So we should be able to override that and search with more simplistic terms as a means to deal with that, it shouldn’t take too much code and you could add this field per show or per season even since a naming issue may effect one season but not others. Then Sonnar translates that to an API call and the user can view the results via manual search.

If a show or TV database service changes it’s naming standard, we still have immediate options to deal with it instead of waiting for the website and scene to get on the same page, I expect name changes in TV shows will only get more common and it works well to throw a monkey wrench into a system like this. A little fine tuning by users and simplistic debuging of results via a manual search would seem like an easy way to deal with that.

If you wanted you could even add in a little field where we could send the changes we made tos fix the name conflict back to Sonarr, like an easy to use shared community feedback system, but maybe that’s taking it too far. Just a field to force manual search terms with wildcards and such ideally using some standard language and having those results show up in some manual search field so we can test them would help.

I think we could also use it to tweak many other problematic shows. Really every episode could have this field and it could just inherit or be set by season with the ability to override. Some seasons don’t match up from America vs Europe releases and the ability to set parameters even down the episode level would be easy to add and potentially effective.

Set my additional parse options or whatever you want to call it… hit manual search to test and I can potentially update the whole season of just the half the season that needed it. It’s not ideal, but it’s easy to do and gives users more power to get better results.

It also wouldn’t hurt to have a fully manual show option. Just add in all the search terms and set the schedule myself and Sonar treats it like any other TV show and makes the folder and uses a generic SxxExx renaming standard. At least I could still have automatic download and renaming that way. Something like Plex doesn’t need to scrape data for it to show the Show name and Episdoes, so it would still download the show and show up on the server, which is better than nothing. It would be like the Sonarr version of an RSS feed, not ideal, but potentially functional when nothing else works.

This isn’t something we’re going to consider implementing. This would be a major to support when someone inevitably sets it and doesn’t have a clue what it does and by [maintaining a list] (Scene Naming (TVDB Naming Conflicts)) everyone can take advantage of the alternate names.

How about just having a free text field available on the manual search that allows the user to specify the search term? And then, if the user chooses to download a release found from that search, Sonarr associates it to the episode for which the manual search was performed?

I’ve noticed a fair number of “Special” episodes are not named in a way that Sonarr can find them with the auto or manual search.Yet I can usually find the episode by being creative with my search on the indexer. If I could tell Sonarr to use my creative search and then pick the release from within Sonarr and have it associated to that episode when it’s added to the queue, it would save a number of manual steps. The creative search would not be remembered or pushed up anywhere for common use, it would be a one time search term for that manual search on that specific episode.

Sonarr doesn’t support grabbing episodes unless it can figure out the series + episode on its own. Specials are definitely a special case and we plan to improve support, but haven’t determined how we’re going to do it, but at the moment we’re not planning an field that can be changed manually.

This type of thing has been asked for before yet it is always turned down.

I’m not sure what kind of people you think use your software, but we are not idiots. If we set something then we will remember.

If there is a list that is maintained and contributed to then why are there still so many naming issues?

Not everyone will and it will result in threads asking for help, there are plenty of instances of this (if not here they come to IRC). The biggest reason we don’t want to make it customizable is because by putting it on the user to deal with it a lot of people would miss out on it and we’d get threads about why it doesn’t download, the opposite problem.

New series require them to be added and special episodes are an absolute mess to handle well, numbering issues (dealt with on thexem.de) further complicates the situation.