Keep getting "Not an Upgrade for existing episode file(s)" for preferred releases

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.3.655
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs: N/A
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here. Post in .txt not .doc, .rtf or some other formatted document)
Description of issue:

I have setup a Release Profile that has the preferred word be AMZN and gave it a score of 100.

When a 1080p WEB-DL release gets downloaded and imported and a 1080p AMZN WEB-DL gets downloaded later, Sonarr doesn’t import it automatically because it is “Not an Upgrade for existing episode file(s)”. I have to constantly do manual imports.

Shouldn’t Sonarr see that if both files are the same quality but one has the preferred word, the latter should be imported automatically?

Thanks

1 Like

in the preferred words profile there is this option
make sure its ticked. there used to be an issue where preferred words wouldnt kick in properly unless it was and im not sure if thats been fixed or not. so try that first.

if they are actually both 1080p-web then yes it should upgrade automatically. but it looks like sonarr isnt seeing them as the same so you’ll most likely need to enable debug logging then wait for it to happen again, then post the logs fort hat time somewhere and link to them here so the devs can check.

dont forget to turn the debug logging off when youre done

The debug logs will show you more details on why it was rejected, this could be the file that Sonarr grabbed as a preferred word upgrade isn’t an upgrade based on the file name because the release name was actually different.

Another common cause is filename truncation where the preferred words are dropped from the file name because it was truncated by your download client, again, debug logs will show the exact source name Sonarr is using to import from and would indicate this.

The Debug logs are rotating so fast and i only notice errors after a long time so i wasn’t able to get the logs when the release was snatched but then i cleared the logs and when Sonarr tried to import a file again, i got this:

The current file’s history is:

and my preferred word is configured like so:

Although it does grab the AMZN releases even though there is already a 1080p WEB-DL version imported, it doesn’t seem like it remembers that is why it grabbed it in the first place.

@prsinister this looks very similar to the issue I was seeing when using preferred words. I never did find a solution and eventually just gave up on using them until it actually starts working.

In my case, it continually downloads the upgraded file over and over and over again and never processes showing the same “not an upgrade” error after it’s downloaded. Sometimes it would be 3 or 4 versions of the same episode, all legit upgrades due to the preferred words, but none processing. Initially I’d come home and they were all in my downloaded directory, then at some point it stopped clearing them from Queue so I’d be coming home to 20-30 items sitting completed in the queue every single day. It ended up being more of a hassle having to spend an hour sorting through downloads every single day than the benefit I was getting from using the preferred words, so I just stopped using them completely.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.