Keep files in downloaded folder

**Sonarr version **: 2.0.0.4613

Description of issue: I have read a couple of discussions here where people say their files aren’t getting removed from the download folder after being imported over to the completed folders.

I want the opposite of that so I have been trying to do the opposite of what I’m reading and I can’t figure it out - hence my post.

What are the basic settings that I need to check to have Sonarr COPY the files to the permanent directory while leaving them in the downloaded folder?

Thanks!

Sonarr will only copy seeding torrents. If the torrent has finished seeding when Sonarr goes to import it or it’s from a usenet client then Sonarr will move it.

You can either have a post processing script in your download client make a copy that Sonarr doesn’t touch or use a Custom Script in Sonarr to copy the file elsewhere after importing.

I was going to mention that Sonarr actually did move a seeding torrent file but I guess since I have ratio set at 0 sometimes, I’m assuming that’s why it got moved…it wasn’t technically still seeding. It was still in qBit, though.

Can we get a slider option to copy instead of move when importing? That would fix a couple of people’s problems I’ve read about in the forum. This shouldn’t be that hard to do.

Thanks!

Sonarr won’t remove it unless Remove Completed Downloads is enabled.

We don’t have plans to add such an option at this time.
It’s not how hard it is, it’s that in the majority of setups it’s not required and in some cases could cause Sonarr to keep reprocessing the same things over and over (Drone Factory primarily).

(shrug) Ok. Just telling you what happened. I don’t have RCD enabled and it did move the seeding file to the final folder - leaving behind an empty show folder as well as causing the torrent status to change to “Error” in qBitorrent.

…I dunno. I’ll figure it out, I guess.

Sonarr should clean up the folder as well, unless it’s locked for some reason or qbit recreated it (logs should give some indication if the delete failed, especially ((debug logs))).

If you’re not seeding why do you want a copy left behind?

I haven’t looked at the logs - only explaining what happened.

Personally, I had a Subsonic/Madsonic server that i was running for multiple people. When something was grabbed and downloaded, I had Sickbeard “copy” the file to a permanent home for everyone else to access but leave a copy behind for my wife and I to keep up with what we’ve watched and haven’t watched yet, Then, as we watched them, we would just delete them out of the download folder, leaving behind the huge archived/permanent location.

Plex has made this easier since it can keep up with (and mark) what you’ve watched and haven’t - but my wife still prefers to load up only the download folder, so she knows exactly what she’s missed - and also so she doesn’t have to worry about one of her shows getting pushed off the “Recently Added” row since we grab a LOT of shows weekly. (that happened once and it wasn’t pretty…lol)

It’s a preference that works for her and could be a simple option/toggle in settings.

I’m open to suggestions or a script that can do this for me. I found the MKV to MP4 script and put that into my “sickbeard_mp4_automator” folder - added it in the Connect screen, but I haven’t seen it run yet. Any help is appreciated.

Plex’s On Deck feature really helps there, let’s you keep up with the shows you are watching and don’t need to worry about things getting pushed too far out.

As for a script it’s going to need to support accepting parameters the way Sonarr expects (this [wiki page](https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Custom-Post-Processing-Scripts a couple examples are linked at the bottom) details how they are passed). If you want it to trigger after the import you’ll want to use the On Download option.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.