Issue with "The", "By", and other articles/prepositions when Renaming

Sonarr version (exact version): 4.0.0.421
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs:
Description of issue:

After going crazy trying to figure out why specific episodes were not being added to my Kodi Library, i stumbled upon this issue.

As you may remember from previous posts, i do get stuff off usenet but i prefer the stuff i get directly from the streaming providers with StreamFab or AnyStream.

As such, i download hundreds of episodes at a time, rename them using RenameMaster, delete the current episodes, and move the newly downloaded ones into the respective season folders.

I then have Sonarr rescan the show so it creates the individual nfos and then rename them.

When i rename with RenameMaster, i like to use the proper case where The (not at the beginning), By, Of, Or, etc… are written properly which is the, by, of, and or.

Unfortunately, some people who add the metadata on The TVDB don’t know or care about the grammatical rules on capitalizing titles.

So when my file needs no renaming because the only difference is the case of the article or preposition, Sonarr will generate the .nfo with a filename that has a different case than my file and because of that, Kodi skips it because the two names don’t match.

Still following? No? Here is what happened to me:

Downloaded first 2 episodes of The Challenge: World Championship. Created the folder structure, put the files in there and had Sonarr import the folder. Sonarr renamed the stuff no problem.

Episode 1 files were named:

The Challenge - World Championship - 1x01 - Run **t**he World - h265 1080p WEB-DL.mkv
The Challenge - World Championship - 1x01 - Run **t**he World - h265 1080p WEB-DL.nfo

A week later, i re-download episodes 1 and 2 because i realized i chose the wrong bitrate and i add Episode 3 to that. Copy everything into the folder, rescan, rename the whole season.

Episode 1 files are now named:

The Challenge - World Championship - 1x01 - Run **t**he World - h265 1080p WEB-DL.mkv
The Challenge - World Championship - 1x01 - Run **T**he World - h265 1080p WEB-DL.nfo

Some guy went onto The TVDB and changed the title of that episode and used a capital for the T.

When i rescanned, that is when the mismatch happened.

I have now done some tests and if i delete the .nfo and rename the file to have a lowercase the, when i rescan, Sonarr will generate the nfo file with an uppercase T because that is how it is in the metadata of The TVDB. If i ask Sonarr to rename, it doesn’t see the filenames are slightly different and just says its work is done.

I noticed the same thing happening with an episode of 90 Day Fiance: The Other Way with the title

Drop by Drop the River Rises

The by used to be By on The TVDB and someone changed it to the proper by and that episode dropped from my database. I have also seen it on 3 other shows and now i am in full anxious mode because with 1920 TV Shows, ~90,000 episodes and the gazillion renames i have done since v4, idk how i will wrangle my library.

I can’t do a mass blind rename once this is fixed because so many times i have gone to rename a show, only to find seasons were deleted, episodes moved to other seasons, etc…

You need to see the preview before deciding if it’s ok or you can severely mess up your (large) library…

I guess i will need to keep relying on the Kodi addon that warns you are about to watch an episode while the previous episode is missing or unwatched but that only works if i try to watch episode 5 and episode 4 is missing. If it’s episode 3 that just dropped from my DB, i am SOL

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.