Importing and renaming not working, file structure wrong?

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.10.1567
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 6.8.0.105
Debug logs:
Description of issue: I’m having issues with automatic importing and I believe its file structure/path settings related. I feel like I’ve asked this question over and over in multiple places but every time I do anything it makes it worse, I undo it and then everything works as intended for a day.

Could someone check my setup and explain to me like I’m 5 why I’m having issues?

Below is my file structure with notes (in parenthesies) as to where I hope each step is done, followed by my path settings for download client and sonarr.

/home/(user)/Vault/ (This is my external USB storage for everything all things *arr)
├── Incomplete (This is the location the download client has for download path and mapped path)
│ ├── movies
│ ├── music
│ └── tv shows (where download client moves downloads flagged with tv show category downloads once completed?)
├── movies
├── music
└── tv shows (root folder in sonarr media management settings, location plex looks for TV)

For example just today I downloaded a complete series (torrent was manually added to download client since I found a source that prowlarr couldn’t find). It was downloaded to ~/Vault/Incomplete/tv shows/(tv show title complete)/. I refreshed the activity page and the show disappeared from that page and the download client. No files got imported or moved to ~/Vault/tv shows/. I even duplicated the entire show from ~/Vault/Incomplete/tv shows into ~/Vault/Incomplete/ and still no importing or moving files. I could move them manually but at this point why even bother with *arrs at all since I’m manually adding torrents and manually sorting. What am I doing wrong? If there are any other settings I should check I’ll happily provide the info.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: (Update) It looks like my issue isnt the file structure but with files not having a release group tag. I manually imported ~/Incomplete/tv shows/ and it detected every file in the folder for the download but had no release group as a red flag, once I changed that to literally anything but it moved everything and renamed.

Is there a way to automatically change the release group or have sonarr completely ignore that field? It serves no purpose to me and each time Ive come across this manually importing I just set it to n/a.

The one question I would have for you is are you doing any media management in the download client? For instance, I use SabNZBD and qBittorentt and SabNZBD has a sorting option which allows you to rename the completed media files and strip things like the release group from the output file. I have sorting disabled for all Sonarr downloads so the output file remains unchanged and includes the group name in the completed file. I use the media management of Sonarr to apply my preferred filename template where I strip the release group.

Here is the NZB name downloaded : Doom Patrol S04E06 Hope Patrol 2160p MAX WEB-DL DDP5 1 HDR DoVi x265-NTb

and here is the output file: /sonarr_stage/Doom Patrol S04E06 Hope Patrol 2160p MAX WEB-DL DDP5 1 HDR DoVi x265-NTb/Doom.Patrol.S04E06.Hope.Patrol.2160p.MAX.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.HDR.DoVi.x265-NTb.mkv

The only changes to the files the download client is doing is appends TV Shows to the category so it downloads to ~/Incomplete/TV Shows/

Edit: I figured out the release group isn’t the issue. I was able to manually import a series with it blank. The automatic importing is not happening, no clue why.

I think you are going to have to get some debug logs to gain any insight into what might be happening. Sounds like it is easy to reproduce so just change the log level of Sonarr to debug and try and capture the event.

I changed logs to debug, manually uploaded an entire series torrent to the download client and waited. Fully finished download and saw it was all in one folder, not sub folders for seasons. Not sure if that will impact auto import. I then checked the tags by starting but not finishing an interactive manual import and found all the tags were blank, again unsure if this matters or if Sonarr fills that info in as part of the auto import process. Here’s where it gets interesting (or not interesting depending on your view point)… I just noticed all 6 of the series I downloaded yesterday, in various states of organization and tagging, all got auto imported overnight… So the problem may simply be I’m impatient. LOL

I’m going to keep logs on debug for a few days and see if anything gets stuck or if I’m the problem. Sorry to waste your time if it boils down to me just acting like a child.

No worries, I built my first home theatre PC in about 2002 so I have been at this for a long time. I don’t mind helping out given all the help others have given me over the years.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.