How to stop monitoring shows

Seems pretty simple right… HAHA no.

Add a show, set monitored to NONE… check
Edit the show, ensure monitored is OFF… check
Make sure every season and every episode is not montired… check

New episodes get added and they are automatically monitored… What does it take to not monitor something? If the overall switch for a series is NOT MONITORED why would it still automatically monitor new episodes that are added? Is there no way to stop this forced monitoring? Surely there has to be and my dumb ass is just not seeing it, right?

Not monitored doesn’t really mean “not” monitored in this case since the show still updates (just at a longer interval), just means “Delayed monitoring but will still auto monitor everything new anyways”

Is there really nothing that can be done to STOP a show COMPLETELY and keep it for “archive” purposes? Archive flag in advanced options that will keep a show in its current state… I’m sure this will be the answer >> “What about when people complain their shows are not updating” well that is simple, tell the idiot who check archive but wants it to be active to uncheck it :smiley: it really is no different than any other setting that people misuse and gets asked about…

Reason: I have a couple test shows that have thousands of episodes (so i never run out of things to grab) but i ONLY use them for testing automation changes (manually grab as needed). This means i do not have any desire to see them when i filter by missing episodes which is my default view (yes i get they are missing, but it is NOT monitored so idc). They do not show in my missing list until there is a new episode added and it is automatically monitored.

New episodes take on the monitored status of the season. The latest season is always monitored, except when the First Season option is selected, though I don’t see a reason why this wouldn’t also include None, it was just overlooked. New seasons are always monitored though, there isn’t a great way for Sonarr to know whether you want to not monitor anything ever when new seasons are added and unmonitoring the series effectively unmonitors everything.

We have no plans for such a option.

A workaround for your issue would be to add Monitoring: true to the custom filter.

Maybe i just cant get this straight in my head…

New episodes take on the monitored status of the season

This is not accurate at all because the show nor the season they are in are monitored but new episodes are automatically being monitored

New seasons are always monitored though

So the series setting is just ignored? To what end? I mean doesn’t seem to make sense that some things respect the settings and some dont.

I don’t see a reason why this wouldn’t also include None, it was just overlooked.

So adding “None” would be different from setting a series to not monitored? Seems to be one in the same

Even if “None” is added it wouldn’t matter based on the above statements

there isn’t a great way for Sonarr to know whether you want to not monitor anything ever when new seasons are added and unmonitoring the series effectively unmonitors everything.

Isnt that the exact point of a do not monitor option? Why would it be assumed that if i set it to NOT monitor that i might want it to actually monitor? If i want to cherry pick what to monitor then i use the other settings such as new episodes, all, etc… Seems like a half implemented option which isn’t very effective when it still updates the series and still monitors new episodes.

So the Missing Episodes is built in so i cant change that one that i can see?

Guess i would need to know what combination of filters would have to be picked to get the end result of only monitored on an episode level since it already works on a series level UNLESS there is an episode monitored even when the series isn’t

Edit: figured out how to make it but this is also not a solution. If i manually set a show to not monitored but manually set episodes to monitored they will show up (this is what i want). This is “episode” level monitoring where as that Episode Progress is a “series” level so it would appear. When i used that monitoring filter every show not monitored was removed regardless of episode monitoring. So again, inconsistency is killing me here lol

I assumed it was a custom filter, but yeah, recreating your own makes sense.

Filtering isn’t a workaround then if you want to do that.

It’s consistent, there is no difference, episode progress is percentage based (based on the episodes that have files divided by the number of episodes that are monitored or have a file) and missing episodes is a boolean (based on the episodes that are monitored or have episodes - episodes with files). episodeProgress < 100 and Missing Episodes would yield the same thing, adding in Monitoring: true would change that.

If you explicitly unmonitor the latest season (and the episodes within) then they won’t show up since you can’t filter them out if you also want to see some shows that are unmonitored.

New episodes take on the monitored status of the season

Since that isn’t accurate, can it be summed up that there is no way to truly unmonitor a show? it will always refresh and always pull new episodes and always monitor those new episodes regardless of the series monitor setting?

We have no plans for such a option.

And there is no plan to change the fact that not being monitored doesn’t matter, sonarr will still update the series and still fetch new episodes?

Kinda begs the question, what is the point of it really… Anyhow i’ll move on from that now then as it isn’t changing so “it is what it is”.

How is it not accurate? If the season is monitored, new episodes in the season are monitored, it’s not meant to control whether future episodes are monitored, because you may want to flip it back on at some point and not have to toggle the underlying episodes.

It’ll continue to update series/episode information, it won’t grab releases and that’s intended.

Exactly what the description says it does. Not to automatically grab episodes. It pauses grabbing all episodes in the series, regardless of whether that episode is monitored.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.