How to improve search for "seasoned" anime titles?

Version

Mono Version

So, having this annoying problem with animes that have absolute numbering set when releasing groups use “seasoned” ( is that a thing? lol ) anime titles.

[Erai-raws] Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season - 08 [1080p][Multiple Subtitle]

won’t get downloaded because although Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season is set on thexem and consequently on Sonarr, Sonarr is using the absolute numbering to make the search (My Hero Academia 71 [and consequently the AKA Boku no Hero Academia 71] ), so it won’t grab the particular file. This below is the info showed when checking the episode number:

Scene Information

Season 4
Episode 8
Absolute 71
Titles

• My Hero Academia S4
  • Boku No Hero Academia (2019)
  • My Hero Academia 4th Season
  • My Hero Academy S4
  • Boku no Hero Academia S4
  • Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season

A show that seem to work with “seasoned” titles is Shokugeki no Souma, because when Sonarr call the RssSearchService it calls Shokugeki no Souma 9 for E70 and correctly filters the Shin no Sara releases

Scene Information

Season 4
Episode 9
Absolute 9
Titles

• Shokugeki no Soma S4
  • Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara
  • Shokugeki no Souma S4

Grabs
[Erai-raws] Shokugeki no Souma - Shin no Sara - 09 [1080p][Multiple Subtitle]

Maybe there’s a simpler way to fix this that I dunno. Unfortunately I don’t know if asking the release group to change their numbering system would work. Going to try to message them at least to maybe include the absolute number inside parenthesis, because that would work. At least worked for another release group:

[KiyoshiiSubs] My Hero Academia S4 - 08 (71) [SoftSub-720p]

Or maybe a solution would be laxing the search rules (also search releases using the episode number, for example) so the decision making service chooses the correct files instead of not grabbing them at all.

PS: These titles are really annoying. Don’t know about the standard rules anime fans are using but seem that they (also including companies and long established sites like anidb) are trying to abandon absolute numbering in favor of using seasons…

If an alias an a mapping exists Sonarr will use that for searching, instead of the series wide absolute episode number.

What do the debug logs of a search show?

Sorry for the delay.

I think it won’t tell more that I already said. It searches for all aliases mapped on Sonarr, but still uses the absolute numbering so [Erai-raws] Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season - 08 [1080p][Multiple Subtitle] wouldn’t be grabbed because there’s no indicative this is episode 71, while, for example, [KiyoshiiSubs] My Hero Academia S4 - 08 (71) [SoftSub-720p] works.

In this case the mapping on TheXEM.de doesn’t have a “Scene” mapping, so the absolute episode number continues each season. My familiarity with the releases doesn’t extend beyond this thread so I’m not sure if this is expected or an oversight, but it’d be best to ask them on IRC (you’ll need to have a registered nickname on freenode) or possibly on Sonarr’s Discord in the #xem channel.

TheXEM.de can’t do any changes without breaking for other releasing groups (response from the IRC channel). That indeed would break for groups like HorribleSubs, which uses the absolute numbering (but no seasoned title). Guess I’m stuck doing things manually for this one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.