How to have Sonarr Pull Selected Type of File

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.6.1265
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 6.12.0
Debug logs: None Needed for this
Description of issue: How can I make Sonarr / Radarr (too) pick a certain type of file format like only download .mp4 files? Second is there a way to get it to select only a certain torrent file type with name “ION10” in the title? I noticed every since I started using Sonarr / Radarr (which I LOVE!!) it downloads mostly .MKV files which Plex does not seem to like to must at times. I know that most files with the names “RARBG” for movies and “ION10” for TV shows work the best since they are MP4 format. There are a lot of Playback errors for MKV files. I am new to Sonarr and Radarr so I looked around for an answer but could not find one that fit. I hate to bother the forum for something that has been explained before but I am having no luck finding the answer for it.

Thank you ahead for any help

you cannot. if it is in the release name you can, but it pretty much never is.

Second is there a way to get it to select only a certain torrent file type with name “ION10” in the title?

custom formats for radarr and preferred words for sonarr
see https://trash-guides.info/

There are a lot of Playback errors for MKV files.

that’ll be something you need to troubleshoot with your player

also look into tdarr

Just going to chime in here and recommend you look into your server and player setup. Plex absolutely can playback MKV, all the way up to 4K, without any issue. Fixing that will be a lot better for you in the long run than trying to figure out how to avoid MKV releases.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Tdarr looks to be useful going to check it out.

@fanboy, I would agree with you on the Plex side but for some reason it is not liking the MKV files. Now strange part is this all started a few months ago so thought it was a Plex issue but could not find anything on it. So changed a few of the current MKVs downloads to a RARBG mp4 file and all was good. Did the same for a few TV shows and all was good. I am going to bet Plex made a change in an update that broke it but was thinking if I could tune Sonarr/Radarr to pull down only ones that seem to work best it would solve it.

I’m no Plex fan but you can bet if it was Plex that broke the MKV support you can bet it would be allover their forums. Now that said I personally would recommend Emby over Plex any day.

@jigsaw You would think that too but nothing is showing up. I have used Emby and Kobi for years but always found Plex to be the best. I was a plank owner of Plex when it was in infant stages and was one of the first Plex Pass people. When Emby and Kobi came out I did run them through many test but I found them to have way too much overhead and just didn’t have what Plex had. Now not saying that they have not improved but it is all up to the user’s taste. All are good and all have their own flare, just always loved Plex (when it was working right…lol) over the others. Honestly looking at what Emby offers in their Lifetime package is what Plex already has had for years now, nothing better than it. It seems they are mirroring each other now.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.