How to deal with 2-part episodes?

I frequently download entire old series’ that have some 2-part (or more) episodes that have all been merged into a single file/episode. But Sonarr insists on renaming things based on what it expects to be a 2 or 3 parter, etc.

How can I get Sonarr to just ignore these additional multi-part episodes and continue to rename the rest of the season correctly with the files that are present?

Not exactly sure what you mean, if Sonarr detects that the file contains more than one episode it will try to name it appropriately.

Can you give an example of the issue?

Sure, I’m talking about a situation where I have a single 2-hour episode on disk, that I guess originally aired as a 2-part episode, so 2 episodes of 1 hour each. So Sonarr thinks there should be a part (1) and a part (2) but there isn’t. But I’m not actually missing anything, as I have both of them in a single file.

Make sense? It happens quite often on older shows like The Facts of Life, Diff’rent Strokes, All In The Family, Maude, etc. etc. Also on some later shows like Melrose Place.

If you put both episodes in the file name and do a rescan it will update in Sonarr accordingly. Each episode will be marked as completed with the one episode as the file.

Example of something in my library: The.Shannara.Chronicles.S01E01E02.mkv
After renaming it appears like this: The.Shannara.Chronicles.S01E01-02.Chosen.mkv
In Sonarr against both EP1 and EP2 it shows the one file.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I had no idea it would do that… very cool! Let me give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

Holy crap that totally worked! LOL Thanks so much for that, will definitely cure a bunch of headaches!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.