How to correct setup profile and language (small tweaks?)

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.0.348

Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 5.18.0.225

So, ive added english beneath german to the allowed languages bc it has bothered me that some episodes were missing, and better watch in english, then not…

But i found out, that sonarr DELETED some germans episodes and whole seasons just to replace it with better versions in english.

So, maybe look what i did wrong. MAYBE it was just because i changed it from DAILY to STANDARD, im not sure, but still i think i get too many english releases where germans are avaible.

1.) i dont care what quality the releases are (higher, but up to 1080 pref)
2.) they should, if possible, be in german, if no german release in what every quality is there, then grab best english
3.) max 1080p (but if that is not avaible, also take higher or lower)

Can this be achieved with sonarr, and if so, how?

If i see it correctly its just looking for the best release quality and then take english, if no german is avaible, which is not what i want. (but i could be wrong)

Because that’s what you have your quality profile set to do. Virtually any release will upgrade to another because you want every quality and the cutoff it the highest quality there. You’ll want to set your cutoff lower down in the list to avoid that, otherwise you’re likely to see upgrades.

Quality wins over language, so the only time you’re not going to see an upgrade is when the file is HDTV 1080p + German.

If you don’t care about quality at all and only language you could group all the qualities together and Sonarr would never upgrade the quality, that could lead to a large 2160p file though.

The wiki page for profiles still applies in v3.

Thanks if i understand u correctly what i want i cant do atm.

I guess i make a suggestion tomake the option to make language more important then quality.

But i must say, i dont really get why quality is more important then language… xD

and putting the cutoff lower then what i want is even more crazy xD

We don’t have plans to put language above quality at this time. Maybe that’ll change later on.

I’ve deleted your feature request post because it’s already been requested here; it doesn’t need to be separate.

Please stop double posting in every thread response, if you have something more to add edit your post.

That doesnt make sense.

I was so HAPPY when i first saw that language thing.

I mean i understand that maybe some persons dont care if its in their mother language or in english. But mostly you want to have it in your mother language. Im the only one in my familie beeing able to watch & undetrstand english movies - so its only one chance deactivate english stuff and knowing that i will loose about half my library.

Sonarr says even: higher languages are more preffered, "Languages higher in the list are more preferred. " so this is actually a bug, because sonarr doenst act like that. OR change it to “Languages higher in the list are more preferred. But best quality will always be taken” if i had knew that before, i wouldnt have lost half of my library.

If you dont want to make it standard, then atleast make a checkbox [Prefer language over quality]. Or give us a enviroment variable, or whatever. Ive seen quite a few requests for this over the last years, why not add it? Would be very usefull for all foreigns out there.

Or you just remove that language thing complete because i dont see any positive in it - only if you really speak 2 languages or more. It just makes it more complicated without helping in the current state.

PS: didnt see that you can edit posts, sorry about that.
PSS: I would even donate, if you could add that checkbox.

This is a much more complex problem than a checkbox to set your preference.

Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it won’t for someone else, we’re definitely not going to remove it. Sonarr wouldn’t exist if we didn’t add features 100% of people were 100% happy with.

We don’t add features based on the promise of a donation, if you want to donate based on what Sonarr already has, great, if not that’s fine.

We’re considering an option to not downgrade the language, so in your case already having a German file Sonarr wouldn’t downgrade it to English even for a better quality release. It wouldn’t change the preference Sonarr gives to a release without a file, a better quality would win over a lower quality with a more preferred language. It would mean if you got an SDTV release in German you’d be stuck with that until another German release was available. Is this a reasonable compromise for your use-case?

I dont say what i think is 100% correct for all people. - Thats why we have options - and everone can take what he wants.

I just say that the majority of non english speaking people PROBABLY want their language before quality (the qualities are nowadays mostly ok anyway, if i think about the quality 10 years ago :wink: ).

IF any GERMAN release is avaible, grab it in the highest quality. (or highest cutoff, like before)

IF no german release is avaible, grab the highest english release. (or highest cutoff, like before)

I think thats the best way to do it.

What you descripe, is, if i understand it correct, what i suggest to add/change. Yes. Besides that i also would want that for new files. (like if u dont have already a german file)

Im very happy with sonarr - and radarr.

You know, the problem for e.g. german (and i think most foreign) is that there are 99% english releases out there and 1% in your language. We have alot smaller communitys and its (probably) more dangerous then for US (or other english speaking countries) to upload things.

If you really find a release in your language, its a great thing, but mostly some of the episodes are missing. For movies on the other side its okay, i can get everything in german, but for series, its another thing. My gf is ok for waiting if episodes are missing, she would never watch anything what is not in german. I would really like to watch the missing parts in english, that would be a great addition.

I really hope you understand how important that would be. I was really exited when i saw the language thing, i hope we can make it great again… :stuck_out_tongue:

And like i said, if you think most people wouldnt want this (what i dont believe) - then make it atleast a option.

PS: what you could also do is a weight system, like you could add points in profiles

[german] [1000]
[english] [995]

[quality 1080] 50
[quality 720] 40
[quality 480] 30

Sonarr just count it and take the release accordingly to the highest points?! So people who want it in 1080 english before their mother language could even do that?!

English 1080 (995 + 50) 1045
German 720 (1000+ 40) 1040

Only 720p avaible:
English 720 (995 + 40) 1035
German 720 (1000+ 40) 1040

But if ppl think mother language is most important they just give english 100 points and german 1000. Easy. That way everyone could do it complete how they want it. But its more complex. Maybe a advanced option. :smiley:

You’re asking for the same thing in different words. That doesn’t change the complexity to add such a change and the impact that change would ultimately have.

What I’m suggesting is not exactly what you’re asking for, it’s a compromise that would only apply for existing files. Similar to the logic that prevents Sonarr from downgrading the quality it’d prevent Sonarr from downgrading the language.

Sonarr evaluates each release on it’s own, it doesn’t compare it to every other release while evaluating whether it’s acceptable or not.

We’re not going to use a global scoring system, the only “score” something gets it the preferred word score.

I’m not saying we’re never ever going to add the ability to prefer language over quality, but it’s not something we’re planning on doing now, I know that’s not not the answer you want, but it’s the reality right now. The biggest reason against it is the complexity to implement it, ensuring all the decision making logic accepts it, as well as things being ordered properly.

Does my proposed idea make sense for existing files?

Yeah like i said, thats atleast something. I take what i can get. Anyway i disabled english now, it already deleted my german files… you should change the info about language profile:
"Languages

Languages higher in the list are more preferred. Only checked languages are wanted"

To something like this:
"Languages

Languages higher in the list are more preferred. Only checked languages are wanted. Always highest quality in checked languages will be taken."

I dont need a scoring system, a checkbox “prefer language over quality” would be fine. It was just a idea bc u said like maybe not all want this, what i dotn believe, but who knows.

Still i stand at that point that the current language handling is obsolete.

Its only usefull for ppl or countrys where there are very few releases in their language anyway and they need to watch english anyway.

I don’t really care about the language of an episode, but I do prefer to watch them with original audio vs some hideous dubbed version, with subs if required if I don’t speak that language.
So for me the way languages work in sonarr is perfect, but I don’t presume to speak for everyone whose native language is not English.

And no, English is not my native language either. It’s just that I was raised in a country where everything is broadcast with original audio and subtitles. The only things I ever saw with dubbed audio were kids’ cartoons, because they can’t read yet or can’t read fast enough to keep up with the subs.

Different perspectives…

not in v2 or v3. im expecting at some point the order element positioning will become fully customisable to the end user but not until v4 or v5.

i can see it looking similar to the quality profile ordering/grouping page, just with all the elements used to build the ranking score for a file

Hi there
I know you are doing a great job but I totally agree with nuhll.

Just from the logic way I don’t get it .

Most Series are released in English first and later gonna be released in different languages .

So language should be way more critical than quality .
I just unmonitor my episodes after downloading them in a foreign language .

So I would love to have this changed

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.