How do I get Sonarr to move downloaded files instead of copying them?

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.6.1342
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs: https://pastebin.com/CZfXkdyE
Description of issue:

I use Plex alongside Sonarr. However, I noticed that Sonarr keeps copies of downloaded files at the root folder while sorting them into the show/season directories.

Normally this would be fine, but I’m running into an issue with Plex because of that.

There’s a show that is wrongly matched and no matter how many times I fix match, it reverts back. As it was advised to me, I set Sonarr to create folders with the TV show name and release year to make sure the matching was always correct.

However, Plex is indexing the original copy at the root folder that doesn’t have the release year. So it continues to match it to the wrong metadata. (Plex scans the entire root, which also includes the Sonarr folder)

As it seems unnecessary to have two copies of each episode, I’d like Sonarr to always delete the original file and keep only the one in the show/season folders. Is that possible?

I hope I explained it right, it seems like a Plex issue, but it’s only happening because of Sonarr’s duplicate files.

Here are how some of my settings are configured:

Download client — qBitorrent
Completed download handling — Enabled

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

See the docs and FAQ. This is not possible with torrents.

Torrents that are not marked as complete and done seeding by the download client will never be moved and always copied (or hardlinked if your setup supports it)

You should never download to your root folder - this is explained all over the docs and even the UI in a few spots. It would also be triggering a healthcheck you’re ignoring. Downloading to your library folder is not supported and causes all sorts of weird behavior including potential data loss

See the docs and FAQ. This is not possible with torrents.

You mean we will always get duplicates when using Sonarr with torrents? So how can I solve my initial problem of Plex scanning the duplicate files?

Torrents that are not marked as complete and done seeding by the download client will never be moved and always copied (or hardlinked if your setup supports it)

So if the torrents are marked as complete, Sonarr will move them? How can I make sure that happens?

You should never download to your root folder - this is explained all over the docs and even the UI in a few spots. It would also be triggering a healthcheck you’re ignoring. Downloading to your library folder is not supported and causes all sorts of weird behavior including potential data loss

I know — my qBitorrent downloads everything to D:\Downloads while Sonarr root folder is D:\Downloads\sonarr, the duplicates are in those two folders. The problem is that Plex is scanning both and getting the metadata wrong by prioritizing the files in D:\Downloads, which don’t have the release year in their name.

Here is how everything is happening within the folders:

1. Sonarr catches the torrent and sends it to qBitorrent, qBitorrent downloads to D:\Downloads
  2. Sonarr then copies the downloaded files from D:\Downloads to D:\Downloads\sonarr\Show Name (year)\Season X
  3. Plex scans both D:\Downloads and D:\Downloads\sonarr (as it’s supposed to scan all subfolders)
  4. Plex prioritizes the episodes it found in D:\Downloads and gives me the wrong metadata because it doesn’t have the release year in the name
  5. If I manually delete the episodes from D:\Downloads, the wrong metadata issue in Plex is solved (as it’s only finding the files in D:\Downloads\sonarr)

I hope I was able to explain it better — English is not my native language. Thanks for the reply!

Iknow — my qBitorrent downloads everything to D:\Downloads while Sonarr root folder is D:\Downloads\sonarr, the duplicates are in those two folders. The problem is that Plex is scanning both and getting the metadata wrong by prioritizing the files in D:\Downloads, which don’t have the release year in their name.

1. why is your library folder a subfolder of your download folder? Those should be completely separate as explained in the docs…what isn’t clear? D:\Media{TV|Movies} and D:\Downloads{tv|movies}
  2. you’re not using categories in your download client which is not recommended and will be problematic if you add radarr or any other client…or just download non-sonarr tv items
  3. you fix plex by not pointing plex at your download directory…plex should never even see your download directory - it should only get your media library
  1. why is your library folder a subfolder of your download folder? Those should be completely separate as explained in the docs…what isn’t clear? D:\Media{TV|Movies} and D:\Downloads{tv|movies}

Sorry, I thought the warning didn’t cover subfolders.

I’d like everything to converge from the same folder (Downloads) as it’s also the default location for non-Sonarr downloads (torrents and ddl), while also being shared among my internal network with the appropriate permissions.

1. you’re not using categories in your download client which is not recommended and will be problematic if you add radarr or any other client…or just download non-sonarr tv items

I was under the impression that qBitorrent was adding “sonarr” as a category to those downloads. I just checked and that’s the case.

1. you fix plex by not pointing plex at your download directory…plex should never even see your download directory - it should only get your media library

My Downloads directory acts as a media library as it’s where my movies and shows are adaded when using systems other than Sonarr. I’m actually only using Sonarr for the downloading capabilities, I don’t care about building a library as I delete as I watch the episodes.

Sounds like you refuse to change your setup - thus you will forever be stuck with your plex issues.

good luck bud

@bakerboy448 is correct your setup really needs to be changed.

Ok, now I understand I need to use separate folders for media content.

Adding to this, is there a way to make sure that the original file is deleted when I delete the one in the media folder? As I said, I delete episodes as I watch them to preserve hard drive space, but the original remains at the Downloads folder. I’m open to any solution — even one that includes extra software.

When your setup is optimal, you should not have more than one copy of any file, which will render this question moot.

1 Like

@SniperWild just ignore @olliebean’s advice.

I guess the actual answer to the originally asked question is inappropriate. Sorry about that. I was only trying to help.

1 Like

@olliebean More so only assholes don’t seed.

2 Likes

Thanks for this info.

If I’m understanding the problem you just want to not have PLEX duplicate your files. This can be done by creating a .text file in the root folder you don’t want it to scan. Within the file you list all files you want plex to ignore like this:

If you can just direct the QBitorrent to put all downloads into a subfolder you could restrict access to that specific folder and tell plex not to index it:

To ignore the downloads folder in the subfolder:
Downloads/

Save the .text file name as “.plexignore” -

I think this would be better suited on the plex forms if you need additional details as that’s really what you are looking to fix.

the bigger issue was that the OP had their sonarr data underneath their downloads folder - thats something you should never do.

if youre using something like plex, or emby or whatever, why would you have it look at your downloads folder, those files are temporary and sonarr or radarr is going to move them to their proper folders, which should be monitored - or have them tell plex/emby that they are ready.

yes, it caused issues with plex doubling up, but it could have also caused their download client to delete their entire sonarr data folder.

your download and sonarr data folders can be siblings, just never parent or child of each other. if you do it that way (aka properly) then no one is going to have an issue.

You speak from experience?

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, my question was sincere :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.