Hard links active in prefs, but still full file copied with manual import (via hard link/copy)

Sonarr version: 3.0.6.1342
Mono version: 6.12.0.122
Debug logs:
Description of issue:
When adding a show and then manually importing already downloaded torrents (that are still seeding) from the Transmission DL folder via Wanted/manual import to the Sonarr Library folder, it copies the files while hard link is set to ‘on’ in settings. I’m copying from the Transmission DL folder on one hard drive to the Sonarr library folder on another hard drive.
I checked the inums of files (they are different) and I can see that the disk space on the library folders hard drive becomes less.

Does anyone know what could be the reason that it copies and not hard links the files?

I know it’s suggested to post debug logs but there are Transmission filenames in there that I wouldn’t want to post on a public paste service. So I hope to first troubleshoot this based on previous experiences from other users. Thanks for your understanding.

It is impossible to hardlink across two file systems. With your setup, you will always have duplicate space used and never have hardlinks. What did you read or say that implies that’s possible?

Set your completed download folder to be on the same disk and same file system as your library if you want hardlinks.

Hi @bakerboy448 I didn’t read that I could nor that I couldn’t. Maybe I got lost in the vast wiki :wink: Thanks for clarifying this. All clear now. Thanks again!

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/settings#bittorrent

• Hardlinks are enabled by default. A hardlink will allow not use any additional disk space. The file system and mounts must be the same for your completed download directory and your media library. If the hardlink creation fails or your setup does not support hardlinks then Sonarr will fall back and copy the file.

also on the FAQ
https://wiki.servarr.com/en/sonarr/faq#why-are-there-two-files-why-is-there-a-file-left-in-downloads

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.