Getting subtitles to work (requires Plex)

I have been unable to move from SickRage to Sonnar due to the inability to pull subtitles.
As I felt that it must be possible I’ve been looking around for a solution and I think I’ve found something on Reddit.

It seems to involve setting “Minimum Age” to something like 8+ hours to give enough time for subtitles to be released and than setting up Plex to pull the subtitles from OpenSubtitles. “Minimum Age” can only be set for Usenet and not torrents, which is unfortunate for me.

I’m thinking, it should be possible to get this working with torrents but I’m not entirely sure how this works with usenet to adapt it to torrents. Something like torrents are pulled with Sonnar to a source directory. These would be left downloading for x hours (long enough for subtitles to come out) before processing. This is where I’m unsure in that as I understand it, when Sonarr processes downloads the files lose their original file information (required for downloading the correct subs). If I understand this correctly, Plex is processing the files and downloading the subs not Sonnar. This would mean I need Plex to download this files, maybe with a set number of hours for seeding before they are processed by Plex. Sonarr would monitor the destination folder to mark the process complete.

I’m having an issue with downloading subtitles that is not really a
problem just kind of irritating. I have my Plex server set up to
automatically download subtitles with OpenSubtitles. It works great. I
use Usenet to get my shows. Usually the show will download about a
half hour to an hour after the show airs. The problem is that subtitles
almost never are uploaded that fast. The only way I can get subtitles
to download is to go to each episode individually the next day and
refresh the show to search for subtitles. It’s kind of annoying. I’ve
tried setting Sonarr to wait 3 hours after the show airs before
searching, but still rarely get subtitles then. Does anyone know of any
way to have Plex keep searching for subtitles until it finds them? Or
would I be better off just adding more time to Sonarr before it starts
searching?

You can use a delay profile to achieve the delay as well, which can be used with Torrents and Usenet, the only time a delay doesn’t apply is if the quality is the best wanted quality in the profile, which will cause it to grab immediately if its the preferred protocol.

I can see in settings that I can set it up a Delay Profiles for torrents. Does this work by delaying after the first found release become available or is it based on the age of the torrent? This may also work with torrents to seed for x hours before processing. I currently use SickRage/Sonnar to grab torrents, after seeding for some time I will manually move them to a folder for processing.

Does anyone on her have experience using Sonarr with Plex to get subtitles for releases? I’m not certain how best to set it up. Does Plex monitor the download folder pre-processing to get file information or is Plex used for processing with subs?

If you’re not already a Plex user, you could try Emby (new name for Media Browser) instead.

It will check if subtitles are missing and download them for you.

It does many other things too.

For more details, go to www.emby.media.

Shout if you decide to go that way and have questions.

1 Like

I currently run Plex, but I’m not in love with it as it is not very responsive as a video player.
I will take a look at Emby, would it require me to stop Sonarr from changing the filename in order to pull the correct subs?

As long as the naming matches Emby’s requirements it’ll be OK.

So with this method you set Sonarr to not rename files and set Emby’s to monitor the series folders?

Do what you need to do in Sonarr, rename and move etc, and then Emby will see the file and fetch metadata for it, including subtitles if selected.

If you’re going to use Emby, it might be worth signing up at the Emby forums: http://emby.media/community/

What I’m getting at is if Sonarr renames the files will Emby still be able to pull the correct subtitles

Thanks CBers, I had to set Sonarr to not change the file names so that it would pull subs with the correct timing.
I do have Plex set up but I didn’t like it that much because it was a bit slow and unresponsive. With this I can move from SickRage to Sonarr. I’m still hoping that subtitles will be added soon or that the files will be renamed but maintain the necessary meta data to pull subs post-processed by the media player.

Yes it will.