Folder Structure - Import existign library?

Sonarr version: 2.0.0.5338
Mono version: 5.18.0.240
Debug logs: N/A
Description of issue:

I’m a newbie to Sonarr, trying to migrate away from straight Vuze/RSS downloader. I have recently installed Sonarr and I’m trying to import my large existing library. I’m having problems importing and understanding what Sonar expects.

So a little background, what I have is an existing folder structure like:

/data/TV/
        |- Family.Guy
        |- God.Friended.Me.2018
        |- LA.Finest
        |- Last.Man.Standing.2011
        |  |- Last.Man.Standing.US.S04E15.HDTV.x264-2HD.mp4
        |  |- Last.Man.Standing.S05E19.Outdoor.Woman.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv
        |  |- Last.Man.Standing.S03E15.HDTV.XviD-AFG
        |     |- Last.Man.Standing.S03E15.HDTV.XviD-AFG.avi
        |- Magnum.P.I.2018

As you can see, each series has it’s own folder (whose may be in a different format from the rest), while underneath the video files may be there alone or underneath their own episode directory.
The reason for this is that the episode that is downloaded might be contained in it’s own folder and it may not.
Kodi and Plex have no problem with this and will happily work with both in the same library.

However, when I try to import a series (i.e. Last Man Standing), I’m forced to start a new directory called "Last Man Standing (2011) ". The changes I made to episode naming in Settings | Media Management make no difference. (I don’t like using spaces or special characters in folder names)

When I Manually Import a new series I can only select one episode at a time and have to select the episode folder it is in.

What am I doing wrong??

Bob

Changes made to media management settings only changes how Sonarr renames files, it has no effect on importing series.

You shouldn’t need to use manual import if all files are in the series folder, but you first need to import those series, choose import existing rather than searching for a series from the add series screen.

The series folders should match the titles on the TVDB, though periods instead of spaces shouldn’t be a problem (though that handling may be better in v3).

1 Like

Thanks for the Reply.

I tried this, but what happens is that the long list of every episode. When I “add” that episode, it does add the series but if that episode is in a sub-folder, it only imports that single episode and uses that episode folder as the root. If I try to “Edit Series” and modify the root, it gives me an error saying: “Path is already configured as a root folder”

Am I missing something?
Thanks

Your root folder should be /data/TV/ then import existing and add all the series, did you select a different path for the root folder?

What path have you set for one of the series your testing?

1 Like

I see, I was selecting the root folder to be /data/TV/{Name of TV Series} and trying to do that for each show that is currently running.

Once I just selected /data/TV it pulled back everything…
I also found that I can go back repeatedly and only select the shows I want to at that time.

I also figured out that I needed to delete the folder from the “Recent Folders” (from my previous tests) or it would give me an error saying “Path is a previous root path”

Thanks
Bob

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.