File Renaming for Dummies (Me)

Hello Sonarr community!

I really appreciate these forums and have solved a lot of issues reading through them. With that being said, out of all of the file renaming threads in here I just can’t figure this out.

I want to accomplish two things:

1. Have Sonarr move the files from my completed downloads location ("\RASPBERRYPI\Plex\C") to my TV Show location ("\RASPBERRYPI\Plex\Media\TV Shows") and rename/sort them properly

2. Make all of my current TV Show files renamed the same way

While I have developed a pretty impressive media collection, I am very new to media automation, so if you could be patient with me and explain how to make this possible in layman’s terms, that would be greatly appreciated. I am currently running Sonarr via openmediavault-sonarr 3.2 plugin on my raspberry pi, which has a mounted HDD that holds all my media and is accessible as a network drive. Through the Sonarr Webui, I have successfully added all of my TV Shows and my uTorrent client running on a separate computer. My uTorrent client has the download location set to “\RASPBERRYPI\Plex\D” and the completed download location set to “\RASPBERRYPI\Plex\C”. Everything including Sonarr works beautifully to manage all of my shows and successfully scan and complete downloads which end up in the folder that uTorrent points to. Without really knowing how the “Media Management” section in the Sonarr Webui works, I have resorted to using 3rd party renaming tools which work well, but is not part of my “fully automated” goal! Please help me figure this out and I appreciate your time!

Add the show manually.

Go to Wanted at the very top of the page. Hit manual import.

Browse to the folder for the show and hit manual import.

You have the option to copy or move the show files. If you’ve checked “Create hard links” in your settings, and if those files are actively being seeded in a torrent client, selecting “Copy” here will create hard links instead of wasting disk space. If the files are on different volumes or file systems, then hard links don’t work and the file will simply be copied.

When it moves the show files, it will move them in accordance with how you define your naming scheme in the settings.

My advice would be to setup a test environment and run a few shows through it to see what you think before you try to completely switch systems. It took me a couple full days to really wrap my head around how to best utilize this thing.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply! For some reason when I do a manual import and find a specific show, most of them say “No video files were found in the selected folder” although there clearly are. Any advice? Also I don’t fully understand the difference between move and copy, let’s just say one of the current files in my media folder are seeding.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.