Epic Fail - Help

After the latest update, Sonarr crashes continuously.

EPIC FAIL: Object reference not set to an instance of an object: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Exception
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Reset () [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.EventWaitHandle:Reset ()
at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.SchedulerThread () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in :0

Please include the pertinent information: Operating system, Sonarr version, mono version, logs.

(Yes, we don’t need all the logs, but we do need the context of the error.)

Sonarr: 2.0.0.3004

OS: Linux Mint 3.13.0-48-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 12 11:16:15 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Mono: Mono JIT compiler version 3.10.0 (tarball Wed Nov 5 12:50:04 UTC 2014)
Copyright © 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: altstack
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: amd64
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: sgen

I’m not exactly sure which part of the log file you need, so I copied the part from when it crashed last. It appears that maybe it doesn’t know how to handle the show “Horizon”:

15-3-30 08:08:23.5|Info|RefreshSeriesService|Updating Info for Horizon
15-3-30 08:08:24.4|Info|RefreshEpisodeService|Starting episode info refresh for: [74379][Horizon]
15-3-30 08:08:24.9|Info|RefreshEpisodeService|Finished episode refresh for series: [74379][Horizon].
15-3-30 08:08:25.7|Fatal|GlobalExceptionHandlers|EPIC FAIL: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Reset () [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.EventWaitHandle:Reset ()

It just happened again:

15-3-30 16:04:41.0|Warn|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Non-sample file detected: [/media/video/!sort/The.Soup.2015.03.27.720p.HDTV.x264-W4F/the.soup.2015.03.27.720p.hdtv.x264-w4f-sample.mkv]
15-3-30 16:05:41.3|Info|RssSyncService|Starting RSS Sync
15-3-30 16:05:44.8|Info|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing 372 reports
15-3-30 16:05:45.0|Fatal|GlobalExceptionHandlers|EPIC FAIL: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

@Taloth, is there a way I can clean the database to make sure it’s not corrupt?

It’s very unlikely the issue is related to one particular show. The exception comes from mono itself.
Could you run mono with the --debug option? just add the option to the autorun mechanism (systemd, upstart, etc).
That will avoid some of the usual optimizations and add a bit more to the stacktrace.

I doubt clearing the db helps, but normally it’s stored in ~/.config/NzbDrone
If you delete it, keep a backup.

@likeahoss1 I’ve had the same problem but it seems to have been solved with an upgrade of mono to version 3.12.1 and mediainfo to 0.7.72.

http://www.mono-project.com/download/#download-lin
https://mediaarea.net/nn/MediaInfo/

hope it helps

Thanks, I’ll give it a go!

@Taloth, I wasn’t sure how to add the debug option to the systemd, upstart, etc., so I just updated mono to 3.12.1 and mediainfo to 0.7.72 as described by @macros. At least I thought I had updated mediainfo to the latest version, but I kept getting crashes. Once I double-checked, I was still at a lower version so I just updated (for real this time) and confirmed I’m at 0.7.72. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back. Mediainfo may be your culprit?

@Taloth, Updating mono and mediainfo didn’t stop crashes. I’m glad it worked for @macros.

I will attempt to figure out how to add the --debug switch to my startup items in Linux Mint.

Thanks!!!

Okay. Meanwhile I have to warn you, this is not going to be something easily fixed. (or it is easily fixed once we find out what the heck is going wrong in mono :smiley: )
I’m also not able to do this alone so I’ll drag @markus101 in here as well.

might review the posting “Sonarr Crash after about 2 minutes”

I have this in my logs, pastebin links there too.

If it is mono 3.12.1, I have had pretty good luck. But that can run out?!?!

@Taloth and @markus101, I truly appreciate all your efforts.

I just donated $10 via PayPal. Have a great weekend.

I’ve been seeing the same error since moving back to Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS from 14.10 a few weekends ago.

I found this thread yesterday and have upgraded mono and mediainfo to the latest from their PPAs instead of the ubuntu PPAs and since haven’t seen this error since. I previously couldn’t keep sonarr running for more than 15 min.

Previous (failing) Mono version:

mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 3.10.0 (tarball Wed Nov  5 12:50:04 UTC 2014)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Architecture:  amd64
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen

Previous (failing) MediaInfo version:

mediainfo --version
MediaInfo Command line,
MediaInfoLib - v0.7.67

Current (working) Mono version:

mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 3.12.1 (tarball Fri Mar  6 19:12:47 UTC 2015)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Architecture:  amd64
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen

Current (working) MediaInfo version:

mediainfo --version
MediaInfo Command line,
MediaInfoLib - v0.7.72

I’m running Linux Mint 17 based on Ubuntu

MediaInfo Command line,
MediaInfoLib - v0.7.72

Mono JIT compiler version 3.12.1 (tarball Fri Mar 6 19:12:47 UTC 2015)
Copyright © 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: altstack
Architecture: amd64
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: sgen

Crashes are less frequent but still occurring. I still don’t know where the mono debug log files will be written to.

Still haven’t seen this particular crash since updating mono and MediaInfo.

I was still seeing crashes, but I think I tied that to some issue with using SSL to connect to my deluge server. Since reverting the webui for deluge to non-SSL it’s been rock solid.

Still not able to complete an “update library” scan or rss scan. But I was kind of starting to wonder if it was some back end service we where using that might be dishing out bad data. Was thinking that Sonarr might be popular enough that its services might be getting hacked or datacenter attack. Guess github had a bought of it over the last week.

Its been hit and miss but still running enough to grab what I need.

Saw another post about a sqlite issue.

No it’s not a hack, those wouldn’t cause SIGSEGVs :smiley:

We’re working with some users to identify what combination of mono and native libraries cause this. But it’s a tedious process since it’s something internal in mono or native dependencies, very hard to debug.
Keep the reports coming.

Looks like my luck ran out. Just like davlaw I haven’t been able to complete a library scan today without triggering this fault.

Hi sir. How can I just downgrade to the prior Sonarr version that didn’t have any issues?