Change Backup Directory?

“I want to save the automatic backups that sonarr creates to my NAS and not the Sonarr box.
Can this be done? I don’t see any options to define the location of the saves.”

“There isn’t currently an option for that, but you may be able to symlink the backup directory to take care of it now.” - markus-101

Is this still the case? If so, I’d like to request this feature and place a donation towards its cause.

Thanks!

Yes still the case:

We don’t work on features based on donation, really the only limitation is time.

Ah sure, it wasn’t directly linked, I was more so stating that I would like to donate to the cause in general.

Thanks for confirming, Markus!

1 Like

Can you login as the user you run Sonarr with? (Or “su” into that user?)

If so, you could do something like this

service sonarr stop
su - sonarruser

cd ~/.config/NzbDrone/
mv ./Backups ./Backups2
ln -s /path/to/external/backups ./Backups

exit
service sonarr start

Again, make sure that you run the 3 center commands as Sonarr user and not with sudo or as root.
Make sure permissions for /path/to/external/backups is writeable by the Sonarr user.

Edit: had services out of order, fixed now.

Yeah that would work! However, I use a --system level user and it has /bin/false so there is no way to ‘su - username’ to that account. I will simply perform this from root when needed.

I’m going to dabble with a symlink to another local directory which mounts to a NFS share. That will keep the automatic backups on another box and I can easily pull them if needed.

Thanks!

Understood. I tend to tell people to su - into the account to keep permissions problems at a minimum. But it sounds like you know what you are doing already.

Also, I totally understand you not wanting to have the sonarr user have remote login access. The way I get around that is to put a line in my sshd_config file that says

DenyUsers sonarruser

But I still give it /bin/bash in /etc/passwd.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.