Best way to install sonarr on ubuntu 22.04?

I am getting ready to re-install sonarr. I installed with snap, didn’t work, no way to enter the names of the users for owner and group. I do have a backup from a previous installation which went bad before the snap thing. This time I thought I would get advice from folks who successfully installed sonarr.

Thank you…

Replace uBlunder with a Arch based distro and install Sonarr using pacman -s sonarr.

The easiest way is to just use a docker image like hotio/sonarr. Sonarr.tv has docker install instructions as well as ubuntu specific instructions. There is also trash-guides which has docker instructions

I strongly recommend only running a container for apps you can get anyother way.

1 Like

And then add a download docker and an indexer docker and a media server docker…
No thanks.
But that’s just me. Lots of ppl swear by docker but I want to install an app, not learn a whole new way of doing things I already know how to do.

1 Like

Ummm… I am not sure what you mean by having multiple “dockers” such as indexer, media server, downloader etc. Docker is a virtualization engine that runs applications in docker containers. I have one sonarr container, one radarr container, one sabnzbd container, one jacket container etc. running in docker all at once. The nice thing that docker solves is program dependencies as the containers are preconfigured with things like mono, databases, etc that are needed by the application. You do need to make sure that you are aware of volatile vs. non-volatile filesystems as filesystems that are within the container are destroyed if the container is updated so anything that should be permanent, (like media files systems or the sonarr configuration filesystem) should be on the host server and mounted by the docker container so even if you delete the container these file systems persist.
Another advantage that docker has is since it has its own network layer you can force your BitTorrent traffic through a VPN and let other things go out normally. In my case, I have my qBittorent container dependent on the nordvpn container and all traffic in and out of qBittorent is forced through nordvpn. Should the VPN go down or offline qBittorent is blocked. All that is easily configured in docker without going through complicated routing and firewall configuration.

Pretty sure they mean having several containers in Docker. The point is do not use a container unless there is no other way.

Okay… as you can see from my post I am of the complete opposite opinion when it comes to docker.

And no one cares.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.