Best practice for upgrading inside Docker

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5228
Description of issue: I’ve read different recommendations for this, so I’m a little confused. I run Sonarr in Docker on a Synology NAS. I use the linuxserver/sonarr image. Some say "never upgrade through the Sonarr interface when you are in Docker. It might corrupt the database. Some say the opposite. So what is the supported method of upgrading when new versions are arriving?

/Mathias

The concern isn’t corrupting the DB, but having a DB that an older version of Sonarr can’t read, which can happen when the container is restarted if you update Sonarr within the container.

To me it looks like changes to the container are persisted between reboots, but I’m not sure if that’s true for all images and isn’t really the “docker” way of doing things.

The true docker way would be to rebuild the container with the updated image, preferably with something like docker-compose to make it pretty painless.

Personally I’ve never had issues upgrading Sonarr directly, but your experience may vary.

Ok, the last few updates I made was with docker pull and the restore the config from backup. It works but of course it is much easier and faster doing it in the GUI. Before doing docker pull I always updated through GUI and one time I ran into trouble. I can’t remember exact what happened but I think it was after I updated the docker package in the Synology. I guess I will continue updating through docker pull to be on the safe side :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.