Average bitrate release parameter

Hi,

I love this app, thanks for the great work.

I would like to make a suggestion for an addition to the Quality/Profiles system that will help erradicate releases with absurbdly high or low bitrate encoding rates.

I like to maintain and specify a specific bitrate range depending on the release type.

For example:

WEB-DL rips have a minimum bitrate of 3500kbps and a maximum of 5500kbps.
HDTV rips have a minimum bitrate of 2500kbps and a maximum of 5000kbps.

These are averages based on filesize divided by runtime.

And so on.

The reason for this, is every now and then, some new release group decides that a fairly standard WEBDL needs to be reencoded at 19000kbps or something else ridiculous.

Having some minimum and maximum parameters would help keep some good standards.

The parameters are already available to do this, as runtime can be grabbed from THETVDB. OR it can be grabbed by inspecting the file.

A simple calculation would need to be applied to divide file size by runtime, to determine its average bitrate.

Then if it is within the parameters, this is an acceptable release.

This could be further expanded to consider existing releases in the database, and if a new release is closer to the ‘sweet spot’ of the middle of the two minimum and maximum ranges, then the release could be replaced.

This would help enormously with maintaining a consistent quality standard.

1 Like

Keep in mind this could only work if the file is downloaded first,
otherwise Sonarr never can figure out what the bitrate would be.

But if the bitrate is higher that means the filesize is also higher and that can be set already.
And you can always make a filter that ignores release groups that make such a big file.
The highest bitrate releases i’ve seen are from DEFLATE but that’s because they often take the 4K netflix release and use that as source for the 1080p release.
They have mostly a Overall bit rate of 10 - 15.7 Mb/s

I do see your point, is there no way whatsoever of determining the filesize of a release from the torrent file or nzb?

It’s possible to determine the filesize,
That’s why that option is already in Sonarr.

But it can’t determine the bitrate before downloading.
So you need to play with the filesize so the so called bigger files will be ignored.
But putting certain groups in the ignore list would be faster then figure out the right size for you preferred
sweetspot.

I use the ignore list for groups for there bad quality or wrongly tagged releases.

Is there an ignore list for groups for their bad quality or wrongly tagged releases. Or can someone post one for all users?

I got a personal list with a combination of groups that re-tag, wrongly tag or just for there bad quality(video, or audio wise)
I’ll provide a link when i’m done with them.

@Mr-Quinn
Sonarr Restrictions For Better Quality Releases (Bad Quality (Video or Audio wise), Wrongly Tagged or Re-Tagged)

I’ve also made a readme for Sonarr How To Seperate Different WEB-DL Releases (iTunes.WEB-DL, AMZN.WEB-DL, NF.WEB-DL)
if you’re interested.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.