Arrs stopped importing and started deleting entire library

Sonarr version (exact version): 4.0.4.1491 - Sonarr, 5.6.0.8846 - Radarr
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
Debug logs: Since Radarr and Sonarr started trying to delete my library, I don’t want to open it to get logs. In fact, I plan to delete them and start from scratch.
Description of issue:

I’ve been enjoying Sonarr and Radarr for several months now. Everything has been fully automated from Overseer and I haven’t ever had to touch Sonarr/Radarr. A few days ago the import functionality suddenly stopped working. So after unsuccessfully trying to troubleshoot it, I looked to the Trash Guides. I was not able to create the same structure they suggested in Unraid as I would need to move 60+TB of data. So I recreated their suggested volume mappings in docker and maintained separate shares for downloads and media. It still didn’t work. This morning, it started deleting all my media so I had to stop the containers. I’ve run out of options, other than restructuring my physical shares which I’d rather not do, especially since it was working fine with a separate share for downloads and another for the media. I don’t want to delete all my media, but before I delete the containers I thought people smarter than me could spot a mistake I’ve made or give me some different things I could try. Please help!

I couldn’t add all the screen shots of the mapping so I’ve put them all in

this link: https://imgur.com/a/Yh5OfY8

A few things in no particular order:

• Downloads should never have a root folder associated with it
  • Sonarr wouldn’t start deleting files on it’s own, unless somehow a series folder is pointed at a download folder and it thinks it needs to delete a file for an upgrade
  • Your paths while not optimal shouldn’t prevent importing

Without logs it’s impossible to see exactly what happened, with logs we may be able to shed some light on the issue, but discord will get you the most eyes on it.

With regards to the root folder. What I don’t understand is, the container volumes are mapped exactly like Trash Guides suggest, and the downloads on the underlying NAS file system are not going to a root folder as defined by the Servarr Wiki " Within the application, a root folder is defined as the configured media library folder. You’re downloading directly into your root (library) folder. This frequently causes issues and is not advised. To fix this change your download client so it is not placing downloads within your root folder. Please note that this check looks at all defined/configured root folders added not only root folders currently in use."

Are you suggesting that the Trash Guides are no longer relevant and shouldn’t be followed? Even with the Docker volume mappings the downloads aren’t happening in any media root folder in Docker volumes or NAs volumes, so it seems Sonarr and Radarr are throwing an incorrect error, or am I missing something?

No, I’m not.

In your screenshots from both Sonarr and Radarr you have /data/torrents/completed as a root folder.

That doesn’t make any sense to me. If you’re not suggesting the trash guides are incorrect or out of date, and the volume structure follows the guides as per the images below, how can both things be true? Is anything that is downloaded under the /data path considered as root? If not, what wouldn’t be root?

Because it seems you’re not understanding what the purpose of the Root folder within the *arrs are for.

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/quick-start-guide#root-folders

Your Root folder is the final resting place for your media.
General use cases should only have one Root folder defined for each *arr.
Sonarr would be /data/media/tv

This is different to your Docker mappings, as explained here:
https://wiki.servarr.com/docker-guide#consistent-and-well-planned-paths
https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/How-to-setup-for/
https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/Examples/

My downloads are a completely different share, so how would it possibly be associated with the root folder?

In your own screenshots you have three Root folders per *arr, where you should only have one.

How would it pick up completed downloads if it doesn’t know about it?

That’s all explained in great detail in the links previously provided and is the basis for how the *arrs and downloaders ecosystem works.

Direct link to explanation how here:
https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/quick-start-guide#download-clients

I’ve read that a million times hoping it would make sense and it makes zero sense to me. It states “This file location can be almost anywhere, as long as it is somewhere separate from your media folder and accessible by Sonarr” (which mine is) and “The file system and mounts must be the same for your completed download directory and your media library.’, which mine is in the container, but not on the physical file system. When it was on the same share, it tried to delete my library. If I only add the folder where the media is, it tells me “Deluge downloads to folder xxx which does not exist in the container” and it can’t find the completed downloads to move it. If I add it the downloads location to the container, it tells me I download to a root folder”. It can’t make up its mind whether it wants the mapping or not. And also, it’s not explained in great detail at all. It’s very high level and even says so.

You don’t need to add the torrents/completed folder as a root folder, this is exactly what the error is telling you.

Just because you mount it in the container does not mean it HAS to be a root folder in sonarr to have access to it.

You also claim because the documentation is high level that it is not useful? It seems more like you can’t understand plain English and the differences between a mount and a mapping in Sonarr.

You’re missing the forest for the trees.

The QSG Downloads client section I linked was to answer your previous question only.

It knows about it because you setup your Download client from within Sonarr. Therefore Sonarr knows where to look and what to monitor.

The Trash Guide links I provided prior to that are where everything is explained in great detail, with step-by-step instructions including examples and screenshots, for every kind of common setup and app.

For you it seems like your choice of Docker/Unraid, plus Sonarr and Deluge.
Mount your media and/or download location in your dockers as appropriate per the guides.
Add only your media location as a Root folder in Sonarr app.
Add your Download client in Sonarr app. (and Indexer for automation obviously)

Now Sonarr should grab a release from your Indexer, send it to Deluge to download and then hardlink/move it from your completed download folder to your media Root folder once the download is complete.