Anime, "unknown series" for releases using both english & japanese titles

Sonarr version (exact version): Sonarr v3.0.3.653
Description of issue:

Anime release groups using both Japanese & English titles in filename will not be recognized by Sonarr as a series. Interactive search will list the episode for the series, but labeled as “unknown series”. It will not match and queue for auto-DL.

Example:

“[Judas] Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Welcome to Demon School)”

Will be labeled as “unknown series” because “(Welcome to Demon School)” is included in the filename

Manual force download via interactive search for each episode will work and Sonarr will dl/sort the episode. But, is there a work around or way to force auto-DL of unknown series?

1 Like

Not sure what stance TheXEM.de mods have on that format, as they maintain the aliases for anime. For the aliases that we maintain for non-anime series it’s not a format we support.

There is no way to auto-DL a release that can’t be matched to a series.

Noticed more anime release groups starting to use both English & Japanese titles in their filename for increased searchability on indexes. However, this slowly makes Sonarr less and less useful as things are not matched for automation.

Would allowing auto forced DL option for unknown series assigned to specific “release profile” be viable?

Not following exactly what you’re asking. Sonarr isn’t going to blindly grab things it can’t map properly to a series and episode though.

Example:

[Judas] Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Welcome to Demon School) - 02 [1080p][HEVC x265 10bit][Multi- Subs]"

Sonarr doesn’t auto queue for download because having both JP/EN title in the name prevents a match. However, if I click interactive search it queries the correct episode for the series and list it for me to see, except labeled as “unknown series”. Manually clicking “add to download queue” the anime is DL’d, renamed to proper name format, sorted and works just fine.

I understand the strict enforcement of matching to thexem.de preventing users shooting themselves in the foot & for consistency etc. I’m asking for a way to over ride and just download the “unknown series” if a “release profile” matches or match is close enough. So in my example it would be [judas] and download without me manually clicking “add to queue”.

In this case it’s for the series you want, but that wouldn’t work if the release was for a different series by that release group.

When you select that release in Interactive Search and force the download it results in Sonarr linking it to searched episode, aliases are the automated way to do that, without an alias overriding it in Interactive Search is the only way to force it.

How is interactive search able query the indexer and return the correct series and episode, but yet consider it an “unknown series”. If it was really unknown it wouldn’t be part of the returned results?

thexem.net alias doesn’t work well if there are additional name/text beyond the exact alias string.

Example:

if we add “Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Welcome to Demon School)” to thexem.de it would match as a series, but reversing the order “Welcome to Demon School (Mairimashita! Iruma-kun)” it would fail and that string would need to be added as an alias.

Ideally, a user configurable local custom mapping would be the flexible way to fix things, but not sure if Sonarr want to give users that much control. Sonarr’s beauty is it’s seamless automation, but maybe Sonarr is not a good fit for anime if I have to manually queue downloaded.

Because the indexer returned it, in this case it’s actually for that show, but with some indexers we’ve seen them return results for similar or even completely different shows.

Sure, it that hypothetical that’d need another alias. Have you reached out to the mods on thexem.de about adding the alias?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.