After renaming some shows, having a lot of issues

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.6.1265
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):5.20.1.34
OS: 3.0.6.1265-ls113 by linuxserver.io (running on asustor NAS)
Debug logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xyn1XQLL8t5YrJt7NzwM22nGSRDP4R8d/view?usp=sharing
Description of issue: i was doing some maintenance and renamed some of my folders using mass editor and then rename button, to keep it all up to date… i had a lot of shows that had a “-” that was not spaced properly… for example “Star Trek- Discovery” instead of “Star Trek - Discovery” and so on… anyways, a lot of files never were moved to new folders and I did that manually. I then deleted the old folders… next day the old folders reappear… happens every day. and although the show points to new folder, sonarr tried to download new files to the old structure as well… it’s a big mess now… also, another issue that started to happen is when some episodes get downloaded, files do get moved to where they belong but sonarr now shows that it can not be imported as no files to import… very strange…

Can’t speak to the missing files from your moving.

Sounds like you may be downloading into your library folder which always causes problems.

The logs are clear for why imports are failing.

2021-07-31 09:08:27.2|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /Docker/SABnzbd/config/Downloads/complete/Outer.Banks.S02E09.1080p.WEB.H264-GGWP/. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/troubleshooting#downloads-and-importing

thing is it all worked fine until i renamed my folders using mass edit and not sure why it recreates the old names of the folders that shows used to be named as. also, the reason i get the file is not accessible message is because it already got moved to the folder it should be in (import happened) and because an empty folder sits in the download directory, it keeps telling me it can not import anymore… i’ll reboot the server and see what happens.

a reboot likely will not fix it.

the reason i get the file is not accessible message is because it already got moved to the folder it should be in (import happened) and because an empty folder sits in the download directory, it keeps telling me it can not import anymore

if it was already imported by sonarr then it would not be trying to import it again. Did you move it manually or something? Or manually import it and then never changed it’s download client category or ignored the entry in the queue?

why it recreates the old names of the folders that shows used to be named as

Trace logs of sonarr recreating the folders combined with a screenshot of the series in sonarr proving out that the series is not assigned to that folder.

I will add trace logs by tomorrow. in meantime here is a screen shot of there being the old name and new one after renaming it… old ones keep reappearing empty every few hours… also i added screenshots of naming within the app…

as for files being imported, it is done automatically, but even after it’s done, an empty folder gets left behind and then it tries to somehow import it again… i assume it has something to do with the duplicate folders?

so just recently i noticed an episode being downloaded for Million Dollar Listing and it was automatically moved over to proper location, yet sonarr showing that it can not be imported as files are missing.

Finally some of the folders i deleted earlier that were the old format before renaming, they have been recreated again automatically at 10pm by sonarr. hopefully trace logs will help.

here are the trace logs.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ec-uH9hSaeVRNbcqirx5vrKnuC58J8h5?usp=sharing
i believe trace 7 and 6, as well as debug 2 are around the time the folders were recreated by sonarr…
trace 26, 27, 28 and debug 6 and 7 are around time million dollar listing was downloaded

People likely will not go through multiple thousand line multiple log files

Re-read the troubleshooting section specifically the gathering log section. It explicitly says don’t share the entire file.

i went through the logs during the time the folders were created on screenshots i posted above and I could not find anything regarding the old folder format that was created. Anyways, i will try to figure out why this doesn’t show up in the logs. Once i can replicate it, will post shorter logs with relevant info…

The original title is “Star Trek: Discovery”
This is renamed to replace the colon with a hyphen to “Star Trek- Discovery” because a colon is not a valid filename/directory name character in many filesystems.

What you have done by manually renaming directories in your filesystem is like having several people move house but then not informing anyone about the change of address.

Basically, if you think you know better than Sonarr about the directory naming, then you should configure Sonarr that way and then retroactively update all affected TV shows in Sonarr to your new naming system.

1 Like

I never manually renamed the directories… i went to mass editor in sonarr, selected the shows and then selected Rename on bottom right… sonarr automatically renames the folders to updated names it has pulled from IMDB, the TVDB or wherever it gets its info from…
anyways, to give an update, i selected all the shows yet again I have in my list in mass editor and renamed them once again using the “rename” button… it’s been a few days and I have not seen any of the old named directories being recreated… fingers crossed but so far i think issue has been resolved

Ah, I failed to read properly. Thanks for the update, good to know this can happen and what the fix is :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.