Advice on next steps if no one responds to post for help

I posted an issue here on the forums 8 days ago and didn’t get any responses. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed from here? I’m really stuck on this issue. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

original post:
https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/sabnzbd-downloads-fail-sonarr-shows-path-errors/18713

this user appears to be having the exact same issue as well:
https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/path-does-not-exist-or-is-not-accessible-but-it-is/18789

1 Like

Try Reddit, I get better responses there.

I advise opening a ticket on github (as every other single open source project recommends) and ignoring the dev’s request to post here. This forum is close to useless.
Github will get you a response from the lazy devs.

A lot of open source projects don’t want support questions cluttering of valid issues, often pushing people to stackoverflow, discord or some other app.

If you’d rather us filter through the crap instead of actually fixing/adding things, you can, but they’ll be closed and you’ll be told to post here, so don’t waste our time (or yours).

The forum is only going to be as good as the people responding to it, which is largely this lazy dev. Feel free to contribute.

1 Like

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion. I’m not a sonarr dev. I dabble in coding occasionally. Once upon a time, I’ve been on the support side in various roles for a decade so I can claim some familiarity with this phenomenon. I’ll also preemptively call myself a fanboy so we have that out of the way as well.

Rant mode on.

You (generally speaking here, not you individually, but the tone and manner in which you wrote that post) are what destroys communities. Posts like this is what burns creators out.

The devs are doing the best they can with the free time they have to work on this application and provide support, and I have seen plenty of users help each other out as well. However, there is a general trend when any software is around for a while and matures.

On the one hand, the bugs get complexer so it’s more difficult to troubleshoot.

On the other hand, it becomes mainstream and starts attracting hundreds of users who don’t know how to do just a tiny bit of research themselves, posting crap questions like “new to sonarr, do my entire setup for me, customized for my specific needs, stat” or “I get an error message. I’m also not going to give any context how I got to the error message. I now need help to turn on the debug log because I can’t be bothered to read the FAQ, and I can’t remember how I created the error in the first place lol” or “hurrr the numbering for my favorite show is wrong fix it asap”.

Everyone gets tired of these after a while, especially when the request is written in a very demanding/commanding voice.

Every now and then, there’s a gem of a new user that makes a first post with a question, and they have read the FAQ, searched the forums, maybe even poked around in the code, but still can’t make something work. They’ll post with all the information requested, debug logs, steps to recreate the issue, things they tried, …
For those users, speaking for myself here, I’d go through the fire if it’s in my power to help.

The others: ehhh, if there’s time. You may get a blunt reply that is nothing more than a link to search the forum with the keyword describing your issue where the first hit has the answer. Or a copy/paste of the list of things needed from you (version, debug logs, …). Or just no answer at all. Live with it, or put in some effort from your side as well.

Rant mode off.

I’ll go back to my cave now.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.