Added new root folder and now none show on add service [OSX]

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5344
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 6.10.0.104 (2019-12/5d03a6fe116 Wed Apr 29 20:51:09 EDT 2020)
OS: OSX
Debug logs:
Description of issue: Root Folders not showing on Add Show. Also lots of “Unable to open media info from file” warnings in the logs from VideoFileInfoReader

So what happened, after an OSX update I had to re-mount my Synology drives using afp:: instead of nfs and in so doing the directory where I was mounting them changed. I went into my series and changed each and every one to the new directory. When I look at my existing series all of the data looks correct for existing and missing episodes. However when I go to add a new series I have no paths to select from and when I try re-adding my new root folders I’m told they already exist.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 8.14.49 AM

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 8.15.30 AM

So I went into the database and manually removed all records and re-added my root folders starting with Id = 1, not letting it autoincrement and everything appears to be working again. Just incase anyone else has this issue I think there might be something in the code that is requiring the root folders Id’s to start at 1 and increment up, after deleting and adding through the UI I ended up with folders with Ids that weren’t sequential.

Just a question, how many foot folders do you have? Do they point at individual series folders or something?

No I initially set up one folder. Then I added a second and also deleted the first. So in my table I had 1 entry that stared with Id = 2. When I manually changed the data and restarted Sonarr I was able to see my new root folder and add a series to it. Unfortunately I was only able to add 1 series before it went back to the state I originally posted. So my comment on a possible fix was pre-mature.

There is definitely not such a “feature”, people have added and removed root folders for years without this happening.

Look at the debug/trace logs for the root folders being requested by the API and look for an error, this looks more like Sonarr couldn’t resolve the root folders for some reason so they’re showing up empty.

Thanks. I wouldn’t have expected there to be an actual “feature” that caused the problem. I was just trying to hypothesize what could be the problem. this could totally be some system issue since I did change how, as well as where, the drive is mounted. But since I run Sonarr as the same user that mounts the drive I would expect that access wouldn’t be a problem. Also I wouldn’t expect the app to not show a directory in the dropdown list because of access issues. I would expect existing files to show as missing (which isn’t happening) if the directory couldn’t be reached.