TVDB is going payed - New Metadata Site?

I’m truly hoping the drop TheTVDB and go for TheMovieDB. I’d say as far as missing show they are even so that is a non issue. As for shows that multiple seasons but one or the other service treats each season as a separate series they are pretty much even, so no real issue there either.

to be honest, the absence of an official reply here on how Sonarr will handle this kind of scares me. They maybe busy making that but a fast post “we are on it!” will be reassuring.

Agree 1,000,000,000%. This kind of behavior along with a few other issues with their software is why I dropped Plex for Emby months ago.

1 Like

The XEM?
Or does it also use The TVDB?
Why can’t The TVDB simply be forked, and then The TVDB can fuck off?

XEM?

as for fucking TheTVDB OOPs I meant as for forking TheTVDB I think there would be too much work involved to fix it.

I believe it is called “data washing”
If the community is upset about the contributions it has made and you’re saying that it would be too much work, then why is the community so upset about not having access to the database?

Create a new database in the XEM, or how about an official Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr db platform (or whatever open source platform your e-toast runs on), fork and import the database to the XEM, or another open source facility, let the community know, and it should be good. The community shall wash the data in the XEM (or e-toast platform). How different is that to how thetvdb ran (well at some point in time) anyway? One would think that there would be some historical timestamps to thetvdb backups too, would one not think?
Nobody is forcing anybody at thetvdb to stick with thetvdb, or is there some hidden extortion?
Fuck them off, or stop whinging. So, yes, “fuck TheTVDB” for making money off of technical slavery.

They’re offering a specific “open source” contributor API. Take what you need and run off with something better, like their attempts now.

Simply WHY when there is THEMovieDB all setup and ready to go, AND far nicer.

You’re all very passionate about this, but I’m not sure if you realise how much coding work it will be to change data providers, and if the alternatives even offer a decent api that can be used etc…
At least those are the main hurdles as far as I understood from previous discussions about this subject.
It’s all very easy to say “let’s make our own tvdb” or “let’s use x instead of thetvdb”, but to actually do it is another thing entirely.

I’m not pro or contra any current or future solution, or judging anyone or their ideas, I’m just trying to be realistic about it.

1 Like

but at least then we would have a standpoint :slight_smile:
personally i havn’t updated thetvdb since the news - and might switch to something else :frowning: - but i assume there is still hope, that some kind of answer will come

i dont expect thats going to matter as theres no way the sonarr devs will be able to pay the fee thetvdb wants them to (if the jellyfin/plex comments are anything to go off)

basically i dont think the devs are going to have much choice and will have to divest from the tvdb, which means they have to make a choice and either recode sonarr to work directly with any source (including thetvdb for those that are ok paying the individual user fee) and hopefully people are willing to write plugins for any others (they seem to be for the other clients so i dont expect it will be too much of an issue in the long run) - or they change the skyhook server to pull from a different source (no idea how hard thats going to be).

that choice is up to the devs but it would be nice if they could hint which way they want to go so that people who can help, can offer to help. presuming that we can even help with the skyhook side of things (i dont know if that code is public)

in the long run my preference would be for plugin type sources you can add/setup like the indexers/profiles currently are, that way we can have a default source but also assign a specific source to a specific show if theres a better source for that particular show.

most importantly i’d like the ability to edit the local database manually to add or fix stuff that just doesnt exist yet, or work properly, which i understand would need a massive amount of work to make all the sonarr web interface pages “editable”. this way im never tied down to any source, so long as i have the appropriate data for the show i want then i can manage it myself and sonarr will do its thing.

with no reliance on the skyhook server i presume that could free up resources for use elsewhere?

I contribute a fair bit to both the TVDB and TheMovieDB and I get there are some costs associated with running even a free site such as server space and bandwidth but you would think that generating some advertiser revenue on the site itself might be enough.

As far as everyone complaining about TheMovieDB TV content, why wouldn’t you just create an account and start fixing things where you see a problem. If there is a series or episode missing, add it. In my opinion, you are in no position to complain about something you are getting for free if you are not willing to contribute to making it better for the good of everyone.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just drop the bullshit. 226 show here (old, new, upcoming, etc…) ALL on TheMovieDB.

Feel free to keep the discussion civil…

I hope you realize I was not criticizing the TheMovieDB… I was only pointing out that when it comes to these open-source community-driven projects we should all work to make them better rather than stand back and throw stones.

Feel free to call out the person who lied, and not the one that called them out.,…

1 Like

The problem with that is the fact that TheTVDB has closed their forums so peep can no longer edit and fix shows and most likely so peeps can’t complain directly to them about them going paid on the work the members did without being paid for said work.

1 Like

i think you need to go back and re-read what was actually written. there were no lies in it. it was directed at people that said TMDB content was crap (TMDB, not TVDB - different sites).

there is nothing wrong with telling the people complaining about “crappy” TMDB content to go create an account there and fix, or add to, the content - its open source for a reason, like TVDB used to be, youre meant to do just that.

it appears that you have a TMDB account, and youre already updating it, so you are not the target audience of that message are you. so why get angry about it.

ie this right here - youve blindly done it again. the person youre replying to, the same one you called a liar, is actually talking about the TMDB site, not the TVDB site, but youre not reading what theyre posting and going off on your own little angry tangent about the TVDB site.

the TVDB site is moot, a dead end, they arent going to change their ways so who cares about them any more. focus on the replacement choices.

if you cant and just want to rant about the TVDB site then please, go create another thread where you and anyone else can post angry rants about that and leave this one to discussions around replacements and other means of sorting the real issue out.

2 Likes

Drop the bs now. I’ve done the side by side comparison and TheTVDB IS far worst than TheMovieDB. As for knowing I have an account on THeMovieDB that means you are stalking people. As for correcting info there, no. I’ve created three list(TV, Movies, Christmas horror movies), and I’ve posted a couple of notes for others to see about incorrect information.

i never said it was, didnt even mention it. you have difficulty reading dont you. plus considering this entire thread is about going elsewhere, the content state of TVDB is irrelevant.

no it means you alluded to having one in one of your previous posts, the 226 shows i presumed you had updated, although i may have misread that, but in the end it seems you do have an account there anyway - so if there were any issues with the data in TMDB you could just log in and fix them, or add new shows yourself, so you would have no issues using TMDB instead - which is what the other person was saying that other people could do as well if they though the content there was lacking or incorrect.

ie youve been arguing against two people who actually agree with you (and being a right prat about it)

congratulations, you just proved their point (and mine). now go take your damned meds.

1 Like

As usual the topic of TMDb vs TheTVDB has gone off the rails, both sites have their pros and cons, if you want to argue about which one is better please take it elsewhere.

To answer the original post, we’re discussing what TheTVDB’s subscription service looks like for Sonarr users and the other options available. Nothing is going to happen over night, there will be no ETAs and you’ll know more when we announce something.

2 Likes