Too many open files, unable to open database file (synology)

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5252
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 5.8.0.108
Debug logs: http://justchil.net/debug.txt
Description of issue: too many open files, unable to open database then it uses a ton of cpu and no longer runs properly

I’m finding a lot of dead ends. Sonarr and Radarr both do this… my logs are from Radarr… Sonarr will crash soon so I will post those too. The problem started with Sonarr (I’m assuming due to having more files?).

The ONLY reason I run this on the Synology is to have local access to storage. If there is a better way to go about this I’m all ears. I’ve yet to see a solution to this problem anywhere.

Is there a setting within Sonarr / Radarr? I see no fixes and no official support for the Synology OS but other programs like transmission have settings that prevent it from happening.

sysctl -a | grep file
fs.file-max = 1618426
fs.file-nr = 11072 0 1618426

open files (-n) 90000

in /etc/profile ulimit -c unlimited

Not sure what else I can try on the OS.

its probably a mono issue, the community package is at 5.8, the linuxserver docker image is at 5.16 (it still has issues), i believe 5.12? was reported as being stable but thats only helpful if you have a system you can play around with mono to get it at that version

not sure you can do anything about it due to mono being a package. you could look into using a docker image

note - i use the linuxserver/sonarr:latest image and it still has issues but ive also got a scheduled task to restart the container every night so mono has less chance to go mental.

Thanks for the reply. That gives me some ideas and things to try!

I moved Sonarr / Radarr / Lidarr / Transmission all to Docker. SAB is still on the synology. So far so good… I had it restarting daily but I’m going to let it run to see how long it stays working.

Thanks again for the help.

For anyone who may find this in the future… Moving Sonarr && Radarr to docker solved my issue. I haven’t had a crash yet! I have a weekly task to restart them but I’m waiting for a crash to happen before enabling this.

I didn’t know much about Docker before this… what an awesome tool.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.