The series and path problem from a newbie

Sonarr version (exact version): Don’t know where to find this. D/Ld on Jan 12 2018
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): Windows
Debug logs: Don’t know what this means
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here)
Description of issue: Could someone pls get me over this hump? When I enter Sonarr, I get “you must be new here, add a series”. OK. I find one, but the “Select Path” is greyed out. I can’t enter path. I can enter “enter different path”, but nothing seems to happen when I do. I have SAB working - I can specify an NZB and it will decode and unpack in the path I specified.

I went to Beginners guide but the link is broken. I searched other similar forum issues, but they are start AFTER you enter the path. I cannot enter any path.

This “path” problem seems to be a common confusion with Sonarr, and it seems to have something to do with the “default path” when Sonarr is installed. Mine defaulted to C:\Program Data, I had no other choice. I read somewhere NOT to put it in there, but how else can you specify where it goes? Would that fix the problem. Very confusing, thank you for your advice.

A modal (popup dialog) should appear and ask you to enter a path. You can also see this same dialog by going to add series and selecting Import Existing. The path you enter should be the parent folder to the series folder for example: C:\TV Shows instead of C:\TV Shows\30 Rock.

Where Sonarr is installed has no effect on where your series are stored. Someone’s personal preference is probably why they didn’t want it installed there, but there is no technical reason to move it.

Thank you, Marcus 101. I entered a random series that I knew was well populated. I see a box that says “Select Path”. When I click it, I see another small box under it that says “Add a different path” - is THIS the one you mean, or, if I click this one, I get another box that says “Select Folder”, and offers me a browse opportunity. Is THIS the one you mean? When I browse to the folder I want, and press OK, then CLOSE, nothing else seems to happen. I wonder if I even understand what this is for? I think it means, select a destination folder for this series to be put into. Then again, it seems to assume there are many files already wherever this folder is. Is there any test I can do to check it? Is this how to set the destination folder?

Yes, that one.

Pressing the green button with the check will add save it on the server and close the modal automatically, if pressing the green button doesn’t, then an error should be displayed, though it’s possible you need to look at the log files to see why it failed to add it.

You’re selecting the folder that will contain the folders for each series. If the series already has a folder on disk then you should use import existing series.

Good with all your advice, many thanks. Update: The path issue seems to work OK now, but I see that SAB cannot connect. I have opened it to my firewall. The api and credentials seem OK. SAB will get nzbs directly, but not through sonarr. I changed the log files from info to debug, but do not get a debug.txt file, only sonarr.txt.

Did you saving the log level after changing it?
Are you looking at the log files in Sonarr’s UI?

Log level shows “debug” in Sonarr/Settings/General/logging. But only sonarr.txt appears in NZBDrone/logs folder. I see there are others who have written on connecting to SAB so I will check those entries. Thanks again.

It works!!! Well, not the debug log, yet, but I changed the localhost to what I had already in SAB, and everything works great. Sonarr looks amazing. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.