Subtitle handling

I’ve had a peruse through thus far raised requests on the forum, here’s my summary of what I’d like from the already raised:

First of all a higher priority, this is currently the only thing SickRage has over Sonarr, I’m liking the Sonarr interface a lot better, it’s tidier, but this one fundamental function is amiss.

Other tidbits:

• in implementing, do factor in that you process any sort files already in the download as a higher priority to keep over a search.
  • ensure the search happens prior to the rename, thus ensuring the release group is kept as a part of that search, speaking of which, if I attempt to get a filebot/subliminal setup in place with this, will this happen before or after your renaming, in which case this may still be a hole.

A good example of bad implementation is the recent Hulu show difficult people:

• Difficult.People.S01E07.WEBRip.x264-[eSc].mp4

Even KODI struggles with this, one of the subtitle API’s (I can’t remember which) keeps trying to associate this with The Tomorrow People, it’s only the [eSc] that’s making it possible to find the right .srt. Some food for thought when you get round to implementing. [Soon, I hope]

Commenting on the GHI would be better, we don’t track forum posts for features once the GHI is created.

Its something we’ve had a number of conversations about recently, but we have a number of changes to implement before we can start work on this, I wouldn’t say low priority is completely accurate, but its not something we’re going to start working on ASAP.

Not sure what you mean here? Can you elaborate?

When its searched for is irrelevant, Sonarr knows what the release name was before it was renamed, if we only searched before it was renamed it would be pointless for newly released episodes if subs weren’t yet available.

@jun6lee,

I’ve recently started using Emby as the primary backend for the Kodi installations and the opensubs plugin for Emby is pretty powerful. I have Sonarr set to maintain the release group even in the renamed files just in case I get a tough one.

I agree that I would love to have subs in Sonarr, but Emby does the best job of downloading subs so far and it will keep checking for subs based on the schedule you tell it to (in my case, it searches for missing subs every 12 hours, especially handy when TV subs aren’t always immediately available). This seems to work better than my previous setup which was letting plex do it (except Plex would only search when the show was refreshed, it didn’t refresh metadata on a set schedule like Emby).

First Point, that’s a comfort knowing it is on the agenda. Thank you.

Second Point, what I mean is if the download is already bundled with a .srt file, then keeping it (knowing it was parcelled with the video, it’s most likely the closest to perfect a fit), as opposed to an independent search which may yield the same result, but why go looking if you already have one.

Third point, my bad, fair point, of course you know what the source filename & hence group was, it slipped my mind. #facepalm

Funny you should mention that, I’ve just got done removing my QNAP’s own DLNA server & TwonkyMedia, finding PLEX to serve my needs best thus far, being fed to Kodi. EmbyServer is on my list to check out this week. Will give it a trial run & let you know how I get on. Tbh, even Kodi isn’t ½ bad finding subs, we’re just a bit too spoiled & fussy in this day & age. :wink:

Thats the plan, we’ll import what we can and then try to find what we’re missing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.