Sonarr on FreeNAS instructions

Are you able to run mono by just running mono or do you need to use the path? If the latter, symlink mono to a location that will allow for execution via mono without a path.

I’m on 2.0.0.2341

Latest is 2.0.0.2351

I installed yesterday calling
wget http://download.sonarr.tv/v2/master/mono/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz

which gave me that older version about 4 behind. Is there anywhere I can get the newer version from that is compatible with Freenas/My current config?

Can i use the latest .deb package from here
http://update.nzbdrone.com/repos/apt/debian/pool/main/n/nzbdrone/

extract it and use it to replace the current files?

Is there somwhere better to get it?

Update1:
I have actually done as i said a few moments ago and it is back up and running. so that kind of worked and am now running 2.0.0.2351

will report on stability.
Update2:
Satability already seems better when scanning shows. Though it has just locked up on me again. The whole program doesn’t become unresponsive now though. i am still able to navigate but it will not load tabs or shows series information and seems to have stalled about 6 new shows in to the library update. By new i mean shows for which there was no data previously scanned.

Log:
http://pastebin.com/hujhaYyd

Seems to be this showing up every time it crashes

14-12-4 10:55:12.3|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/128/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.3|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/129/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.4|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/130/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.4|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/131/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.5|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/39/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.6|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/38/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.6|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/132/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.7|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/133/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:12.7|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/134/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:13.0|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/135/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:13.2|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/136/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:13.7|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/137/poster.jpg not found
14-12-4 10:55:14.7|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/138/poster.jpg not found

etc…
etc…

Not a lot of details because its Info, not debug, but it looks like its trying to scan files for Doctor Who and then it dies. All the warnings for: 14-12-4 10:55:12.3|Warn|MediaCoverMapper|File /.config/NzbDrone/MediaCover/128/poster.jpg not found show up because there isn’t a poster but the UI is trying to display them - not a cause of this problem, but might not exist because its crashing before they are downloaded.

Which version of libmediainfo do you have?

command mediainfo --Version on terminal provides me with

MediaInfo Command line,
MediaInfoLib - v0.7.69

I have just enabled debug logging under settings hopefully that should give me/you/us some more info.

Update:
I left the jail off since this morning.
Turned it back on again about 20 minutes ago enabled debugging and set it doing a full library scan after doing a few per series scans.
It has now been going strong for about 15 mintues and i can see int he log it is still doing it’s thing.
I am thoroughly confused.
Can’t remember changing anything.

On command line I don’t need to run the full path to mono, however since this is being called via rc.d it may not have path vars set.

Where do I find the log file?

When I start it up via the console, I don’t get any errors, but there is nothing listening on 8989.

Thank you for the step-by-step instructions. I managed to get Sonarr working on FreeNAS 9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64 (e625626). However, I required 2 additional packages.

1. To execute wget, I first ran “pkg install wget”
  2. To execute nano, I was receiving an error message about libiconv.so.2 missing, so ran “pkg install libiconv”

I had some difficulties getting SSL working with a self signed certificate generated with openSSL, then converted to a .pvk file using the Win32 utility referenced on this forum. I was received a “connection interrupted” error message. Regardless, I chose to run without SSL since I only access my FreeNAS box on my LAN and it doesn’t have any ports open to the outside internet.

working, not using nano but vi instead.
had to add some packages indeed, like wget.

Updating IS working when I do

chmod -R 777 /root/NzbDrone

but I have to do it before/after each update !

Sonarr was working for several days until I rebooted my NAS. FreeNAS was able to launch all of my other jailed programs (CouchPotato, sabNZBd), but Sonarr wasn’t responding on the port I setup. I edited the /etc/rc.d/run_drone file and removed the ‘–nobrowser’ flag. I manually ran the /etc/rc.d/run_drone script and Sonarr has been working since.

I am not sure of the exact problem, but maybe try removing the ‘–nobrowser’ flag like I did.

Sorry but how do I set the path to mono when its being called via rc.d? I got the same fault as you did.

I used the full path to mono as listed in instruction #18 from the first post:
/usr/local/bin/mono

NOTE: These paths as well as the /etc/rc.d/run_drone file are relative to the Sonarr jail and not the FreeNAS system in case that was the source of you problem.

Thanks for this. I looked at building a FreeNAS plugin and I think I have everything I need to get something out soon.

@markus101
Is there a listing of flags I can pass to NzbDrone.exe?
I stumbled upon the the “–nobrowser” and “–data=” flags, but was wondering if there’s anything else? Possibly something that makes it run as a daemon?

Thanks,
Josh

Be aware that --data isn’t completely supported.

--nobrowser can be set within settings, its just there to avoid the browser opening up after an update if normally the user wants the browser opened on startup.

There is not a daemon flag, its up to the calling application to run it in the background.

@markus101
no --daemon is fine. theres functionality for this in the freebsd init system.

but --data would be required for how I’m planning on doing it. I’m planning on running it as a dedicated service user ‘media’ that has a non-existant home directory. what do you mean exactly when you say its nor completely supported? I just tested using it and startup seemed OK.

Thanks

It doesn’t work when restarting from within the UI, it should work for the auto update process, but it hasn’t been thoroughly tested.

I tested updating from 2.0.0.2594 to 2.0.0.2663 from the WebUI and it seemed to work. I’m compiling a FreeNAS PBI (plugin) as we speak and am hoping to get it into the repo soon.

Code for the port has been added, I’ll commit+push the code for the plugin once I test it working.

The FreeNAS plugin is in the official repo now. Please tell me if anyone has recommendations of changes, thanks.

Thanks for creating the plugin! It’s working great on my box.

One thing to note is that you need to add mono to the system path if you want Sonarr’s update feature to work.
I did it by running: ln -s /usr/pbi/sonarr-amd64/bin/mono /usr/bin/mono
I don’t know much about FreeNAS plugins. I wonder if it’s possible to build that into the plugin. Or perhaps a code change in Sonarr for this situation?

Thanks for the tip! It’s an easy fix, just gotta add it to this file https://github.com/josh4trunks/freenas-plugins/blob/master/plugins/sonarr/external-links

I’ll include the link, issue a freenas update, and future updates can be had in-app

Hi.
thanks for this post helped med a lot with stability problems for Sonarr.

When installed Sonarr from GUI i needed to change the user Sonarr is running on due to remote FreeNAS access.
using

# service sonarr onestop
  Stopping sonarr.
  Waiting for PIDS: 13021.
  # chown -R Lars:Lars /var/db/sonarr/
  # sysrc 'sonarr_user=Lars'
  sonarr_user:  -> Lars
  # service sonarr start
  Starting sonarr

but now those files doesn’t exist. how do i change the user for Sonarr /NZBdrone now?