Sonarr not accessible after migration

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.0.1023
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 6.8.0.105
Debug logs: unavailable?
Description of issue: migration resulted in no access to web gui

Old server running 24/7 for 5 years.
Built new server and used Freenas migration for jails to new server. Three of five apps came online, but not so with sonarr and radarr (assuming related)
“sonarr service start” gives no error,
“sonarr service status” show not running
I edited the .xml file for debug, but the log files show no update since 10/31/2020

From what I know the migration from one box to another with “iocage export (jailname)” creates an image that is then imported so not sure what would have been lost.

New server had to have the IP changed for sonarr so as not collide with old server.

Wouldn’t it be easier to install from scratch on the new box and then restore a backup from the old to the new one? Assuming paths are the same, it should be pretty straightforward.

Restore a backup of what: Unless I’m missing something I have essentially done a backup and restore of the jail.

Sonarr has a built-in backup feature. I was suggesting to start from scratch just to see if it runs at all on your new system, then restore sonarr’s backup. Just in case you’re not trying to hunt ghosts caused by the jail backup&restore thingy you did :slight_smile:

Thanks. I do see backups in the /config directory. It may have to be that way, (backup config on old and transfer to new after installing from scratch) but I’m running version 3 so it’s a bit more involved and tedious to start from scratch, and it’s been some time since i did so.

Migration then update or update then migration but I wouldn’t expect to just transfer the files to a completely rewritten version and expect it to work.

Your backups may not work properly either.
Maybe they will but I think your not giving credit to how much they may have done to a full version update.
I was told that a whole number represents a complete rewrite.
I’m guessing they have a migration path for a normal update but I think you’ll be an edge case and not tested for.

Thanks MD.
To be clear on where I am.

Both machines running latest version 3 of sonarr. I accepted the suggestion given above and can create a new jail with version 3 of sonarr. The first things I do are upgrade MONO, and update sonarr. Web interface comes up but of course it is fresh install.

I then try to restore, but after some time seeming stalled it quits with an error that networking has disconnected. At that point I can no longer access the GUI and have to start over. Not knowing what sonarr backs up, it’s possible that it is restoring the other servers IP and a net collision happens.

At this point, with sonarr operational the only thing I would want to do is restore the DB unless anyone thinks I would need something else as well for the transition.
Thanks again for the input

Quick aside:

Can do, though a wider definition is ‘a significant change’; could be a complete rewrite, could be a new major feature, new UI, change of framework, etc…

Ultimately it’s at the discretion of the devs, so it could be for any reason, but the above tend to be safe assumptions.

I’m not claiming to know anything.
Just trying to set the stage.
Was it something about a python version change?
I don’t remember.

There is a bind to ip setting so a ip issue is possible.
See if that is set to *

As for partial restoration.
The backups are a .zip folder that has a config.xml and a sonarr.db file so I would guess a library transfer would be quite simple but haven’t tried it.
Definitely worth a try.

But I think you should have a look inside the config.xml (it’s not a complex file)(see if you see an ip)
Look at (BindAddress)*(/BindAddress)
Maybe set your address there and try it.

Not sure why I can’t post things inside the correct bracket like this >>><<<
Read ( as < please. I can’t post the correct string.

My second thought would be maybe the API keys being the same could cause a conflict (especially if there is an ip conflict)(maybe change it but I seem to remember that there was a way that they are generated to be unique obviously you can restore them but I wonder if you might want to pause the other instance for a while as you breathe life into the new one)

Working on the assumption of an ip conflict I tried to import the backup after shutting down the old server but the restore of the backup still results in the same.

I did find that config file and set the IP to the one set for the jail and it stats fine after re-installing but still crashes on the attempt to bring in the backup file.

This is odd.

Wild guess time.
I would go with location issues or the links to indexers being invalid.
Is the folder structure the same.
Does the jail definitely have permission to the folders.
Are the subfolders (show folders) required/present

I had to start again when moving to v3. It was a pain but gave me the opportunity to make a few changes. (In the old version I had to add a folder for each show manually then add that in sonarr now I can have it just create it by just selecting the root)

I guess you could try and strip the indexers out of the old install and then carry a new backup across.
I’m clutching at straws now.
I think I’m out of useful suggestions for you bud.
I wish you luck though.

Worst case, you’ll have to get a pen and paper and note each show and the required episodes.
(I actually did that when moving to v3)
(IT’S A GOOD UPDATE THOUGH SO I’M GLAD I DID. IT’S BEEN ROCK SOLID)

Same api key or incorrect indexer settings or series folder permissions wouldn’t crash sonarr.
Same IP address would be an issue I guess, but that can be fixed in the config.xml as indicated above.

Seeing as it runs when you install from scratch, and it stops working when you restore, there have to be log files that will tell something. Can you upload them to hastebin and link them here?

1 Like

II have not forgotten about this. I’m working on getting other apps up and running as well and want to be sure I can reinstall easily so that when I do try again and look at the logs I can do a quick restore.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.