Sonarr import fail / not seeing USB Drive (docker/synology)

Sonarr version (exact version): latest (1.27.4)
Mono version: Synology (mono unknown)
Debug logs: see below
Description of issue:

ISSUE
Sonarr not importing downloaded files.
For reference, looking for transmission and sonar to read/write to a directory called raw housed on usb attached to Synology. /media-store/raw. (Specifically do NOT want to use downloads name, in there out of desperation atm.)

ENVIRONMENT
• Synology DSM 7.0
• Docker w/Sonarr & Transmission via Portainer
• Files stored on external USB drive plugged into Synology (formatted through DSM tools)

STATUS
• Sonarr will pick up new content, send data to transmission successfully.
• Transmission will do its thing w/content from Sonarr, HOWEVER insists on saving locally not to USB.
• Sonarr is not seeing USB path/directories.

THEORY
• Tramission is not saving to USB location
• Sonarr not able to read/access USB location
• Drive mappings, otherwise permissions

SKILL LEVEL
Novice. Had everything running well on MacOS, now spinning up same on Synology.
• Followed countless threads, posts, tutorials
• Some amazing support from folks on another forum (not sure if they want handles published)
as a result, some of the compose a little sloppy until issue has been resolved.
—Also, I’ll be honest I find the concatenation of directories in multiple parts confusing.

ERRORS

Transmission

two cryptic items in blue, those are forced by transmission saving locally not to usb.

Sonarr

Permissions

Compose
Note: IPs are inside another container for vpn. this is working.

sonarr:
    image: linuxserver/sonarr:latest
    network_mode: service:gluetun
    restart: always
    container_name: sonarr-stack2
    environment:
      - PGID=100
      - PUID=1032
      - UMASK=022
    volumes:
      #- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw:/media-store/sonarr:rw
      - /volume1/docker/media-center-config/sonarr:/config:rw
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw:/downloads:rw
      #- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/media-store/raw:/media-store/raw:rw
      #- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/media-store/downloads:/media-store/downloads:rw
  transmission:
    image: linuxserver/transmission:latest
    network_mode: service:gluetun
    restart: always
    container_name: transmission-stack2
    environment:
      - PGID=100
      - PUID=1032
      - UMASK=022
    volumes:
      #- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw:/downloads:rw
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare/media-store/raw:/downloads:rw
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw/x.incomplete:/media-store/watch:rw
      - /volume1/docker/media-center-config/transmission:/config:rw

you have a lot going on here.

Sonarr version (exact version): latest (1.27.4)

this is not a valid sonarr version. System => Status gives that to you.

All of these issues are going to be 1) poor docker paths/permissions and 2) poor configuration

also don’t censor things…that just makes it several times over harder to debug.

https://wiki.servarr.com/docker-guide

and/or the trash guide linked within will get you squared away

all of your problems are due to poor paths and permissions.

combined with configuring transmission to download to your download folder.

every health issue has a bluebook that links to the wiki
https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/system#downloading-into-root-folder

Get the impression the post upset you? I am not a code line guy, hobbling together what I can. Also embarrassed to try to state how many hours have been applied to get this resolved and have hit many tutorials, blogs instructions and posts, none working as either the topic veers off or I do not follow the deeper technical rabbit holes…still lost in them. Wasn’t able to get trash guide working either.

Path or Configuration
Yes, 100% agree and as expressed the reason is why I am here, needing help with the pathways (configuration maybe permissions)

Sensoring
Why would you think anything was sensored? Pretty confident if I could get sonar and transmission talking together on the usb drive the issue would be fixed. Pasted the two relevant parts of the compose, not sensored it.
The full compose is large, more complex and may actually distract.

USB
Sticking point appears to be getting either service to recognize and write to usb. Paths, permissions whatever the problem I have not been getting past this point (a point I didn’t expect to be so challenging.)

Get the impression the post upset you?

nah, just short and to the point.

hit many tutorials, blogs instructions and posts

Just so you know there are about 3 guides and 1 video that do docker the right way.
TRaSH’s guide; I believe Dr. Frankenstein updated his to be proper, and the Docker Guide. There is also a single good youtube video for unraid. Ignore everything else as it is either outdated or provides poor instructions that results in frequent paths/permission errors, duplicate space for torrents, and HDD abusive copies for every import.

Path or Configuration
Yes, 100% agree and as expressed the reason is why I am here, needing help with the pathways (configuration maybe permissions)

Right. TRaSH’s Tutorial and the Docker Guide will get you squared away.
For more 1x1 support; generate your docker compose and swing by any of the *Arrs discords

Sensoring
Why would you think anything was sensored? Pretty confident if I could get sonar and transmission talking together on the usb drive the issue would be fixed. Pasted the two relevant parts of the compose, not sensored it.
The full compose is large, more complex and may actually distract.

You censored out the screenshots.

USB
Sticking point appears to be getting either service to recognize and write to usb. Paths, permissions whatever the problem I have not been getting past this point (a point I didn’t expect to be so challenging.)

You have a lot working against you

• Synology’s GUI is the absolute worst for Docker and makes doing anything extremely difficult
    • This is why TRaSH’s guide explicitly recommends using compose and even provides premade compose and some nice instructions.
  • Docker is a pain in the ass to get right…for some people this is a few hours of reading and re-reading trash’s guide and the docker guide… for others it is several days until it clicks…for some they should just stick with what they know, like Windows.
  • Generally speaking… whatever user/group synology mounts the drive as is going to be the same user/group that you will need to run all your docker containers as

My bad you are correct - system user name and name of files are not germane to the topic at hand not solution.

Using Portainer to manage the Docker. Single compose for media related services. Main element working against me is me. Docker itself is pretty solid for my purposes (series of tutorials were used and support from some knowledge people.) Compose is a little sloppy and will be cleaned up once this glitch is worked out.

The media files are being stored on the dedicated usb drive. Unable to get Sonarr nor transmission to see/read/write to the space. Yes, tons of posts, questions even a script or special build or two designed to make this process easier. I expect the solution will be simple once has been exposed - some simple /usb1/ prefix for example (joking.) Have tried countless path experiments, all work within Synology, none reaching the usb

Is this the tutorial referenced?
Great tutorial and love the interface, and it appears specific to unRAID. Is there a version of this docker implementation for Synology?

Trash Guide - seems to stick w/the local path setups rather than attached storage.

- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw:/downloads:rw
- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/media-store/raw:/downloads:rw

those dont line up.

when transmission tells sonarr the file it needs is in /downloads/... sonarr cannot find it as its /downloads path is mapped to somewhere completely different.

make them the same and that part will work.

realistically youre probably better off setting the volume up at a higher level, say /volumeUSB1/usbshare:/usb, then re-config transmission to save into /usb/raw/complete and /usb/raw/incomplete. so long as the same volume is in sonarr as well youll be fine. unless theres a permissions error as well.

if you want to restrict transmission to just the .../raw folder then you can still setup the volume in transmission as /volume1USB/usbshare/raw:/downloads and in sonarr have with the higher path of /volumeUSB1/usbshare:/usb and add a remote path mapping in sonarr to translate /downloads/complete/... to /usb/raw/complete/... so sonarr can find the files

Way I have it working on the Mac, anything in raw is considered complete ‘except’ files that in the x.incomplete directory. Makes maintenance much easier once it is working.

I am trying your suggestions now…

Mind further explaining when saying setting up volumes (got it) - then saying to also set up remote path … what are the differences in the paths? Inside the compose file under sonarr, give it:

• /volumeUSB1/usbshare:/usb.
  • ~ and then what is the second one for remote path? Or do you mean inside the app settings?

Conceptually I understand, and think the originals started w/identical volumes and after enough modifications they shift from center.

Need Transmission to save files to the USB drive, however it refuses. I am not assigning the proper path for Transmission to save files to the proper location on the USB drive. As a result Transmission creates its own space every time locally on Synology. Can’t find a way to tell Transmission save files on the USB drive.

File structure

AMEN!!!
FINALLY seeing USB showing up in the options in sonar for Add Root Folder!!
Think that might have been your info above about adding the /volumeUSB1/usbsahre.

One error left showing w/in sonarr status…

It appears to be insisting for a directory called downloads…and only reference I am even seeing that might be related would be transmission volume ending in :/downloads which I think is a label needed for transmission, right? and if it is mapped to raw, why would sonarr be insisting on downloads when sonarr is mapped to raw?

in that example i had transmission with /usbshare/raw mapped to /downloads but sonarr with /usbshare mapped to /usb

now when transmission says the file is in /downloads/... sonar doesnt even have that volume so you have to setup a remote path mapping in sonarr (the app, not the container) to handle that so that when sonnar sees /downloads/ in the path it will replace it with /usb/raw/ and be able to find the file.

youve checked the transmission (app, not container) config file for what paths are in there? and they all start with /downloads/?

what path do the files currently end up in?

getting closer…relief is in sight…

Transmission is now only showing the /watch as creating its own volume now (used to also be /downloads.)

root folders are where youve told sonarr to store its media files

youll need to go through the sonarr config to make sure those are correct, and remove them if they are not paths where you finally store media (not where you store downloads)

except its a docker volume, not a volume mapping.

whats the container config have the volume for /watch set to?

it was this
- /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw/x.incomplete:/media-store/watch:rw
but i dont know if thats still there

whatever the host path is its probably invalid so its created a docker volume instead

Transmission:

Transmission is still creating its own volume for /watch, yet path seems right on compose.

that does look ok - but why are you using the incomplete folder for the watch folder - the watch folder is where you manually put torrent files you want it to download, nothing else should be in it.

create a /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw/watch folder and use that instead

have you deleted the container and recreated it after changing those configs?

Sonar also still showing the one path problem which looks like it would have been fixed…

deleting sometimes, not w/every edit. will delete again now.

x.incomplete is a directory that I have grown accustomed to for incomplete data and makes life easier to manually groom when needed.

thats an app level issue, not a container issue

somewhere, possibly one of the series, or elsewhere, you have set a root path to /media-store/downloads. you need to find that and either remove it, or if its on a series change it to /media-store/sonarr

where specifically do you want sonarr to store the media? the usb drive, or somewhere else?
right now its being stored under /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw/each series name which seems like the wrong place youd actually want it stored.

and wheres the /config volume mapping? or did you just not copy that part for the screenshot?

missed this post…here is what I have now…

Transmission

your /downloads volume is mapped to the .../raw folder, it should be the .../raw/complete folder
your watch volume is still mapped to the .../raw/x.incomplete folder, it should be the .../raw/watch folder

apart from that anything not working in transmission should be in the transmission app config file

error: had the updated compose in the clipboard when deleting stack and lost the compose. need to revert to an earlier one and manually redo the recent edits. : \

not finding any history or way to bring updated compose data back…this will take a bit of time.