Sonarr constantly using aprox 25% CPU

Sonarr version 2.0.0.4927:
Logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Vu5TCQBg4fekR5cFByLS1Dams:
Description of issue:
I noticed about 4 days ago that nzbdrone is using about 25% of my processor. At first I just figured I was catching it while it was doing something, but then i noticed its just constantly doing this. I’ve looked at the logs and can’t find anything obvious. Come to think of it my entire system did crash and I had to do a system restore, followed by removing Sonarr, scrubbing its files, and re-installing. Another possible contributing factor could be that I moved some of my media and although I followed the instructions for removing a root folder, it still shows me the error about missing root folders.

Please help.

Which OS?
Which version of the .net framework is installed?
How is Sonarr running?
How many cores are there on your system?

Sounds like a series folder is still within the root folder (or the root folder wasn’t removed from the Import Existing Series dialog).

Sorry, here’s the missing information:
.NET: 4.7.02053
Sonnar is running on the logged in user.
AMD A8-6600K 4 Cores @ 3.9GHz

Sounds like a series folder is still within the root folder (or the root folder wasn’t removed from the Import Existing Series dialog).

You Hit the nail on the head. This has been corrected and the error is gone. After I updated the paths correctly, I rebooted Sonarr and then I couldn’t access the web interface, but I also couldn’t re-launch it. Logs said

|Info|Bootstrap|Application is being terminated. Reason : Another instance is already running

I was unable to launch Sonarr until I manually killed the task (which was still using 25%), at which point it started normally, although it is still consuming almost exactly 25% of my processor. It’s like its idling at 25%.

Mine is doing the same thing! Ugh! I thought it had magically fixed its self yesterday but now its doing it again today.

The task that is eating CPU time is, NzbDrone.exe. The percent of CPU it is taking is dependent on the number of CPU cores you have as its a single threaded task. So 25% for you means you have 4 threads on your CPU…

@markus101 I think this is a problem since the last update for a few of us. Most people don’t notice, or are too lazy to complain about the process having gone awry but I doubt only two of us have this issue in the entire Sonarr world.

1 Like

You can downgrade https://download.sonarr.tv/v2/master/windows/NzbDrone.master.2.0.0.4855.windows.zip are test that theory, but we’re also going to need more information about your setup as well.

I am having the same problem. If i try to auto download or manual, cpu hits 100% and nothing hits my DL Client, I haven’t had a successful download since the latest update. I just downgraded using the above link and it works perfectly again.

The info I requested above would be helpful as well.

As in nothing was grabbed by Sonarr automatically?

Are any tasks (on System: Tasks) stuck? (They will show last run time much longer than their interval and next runtime will be less than 1 minute).

Just to make sure I don’t screw this up, how do I downgrade? Do I need to uninstall and re-install or just run an executable?

Nothing is grabbed auto or manually.
If i click to manually download the download link spins in a circle for every and the NBZ process maxes out the cpu

Win 10
i don’t actually think i have any .net framework installed
sonarr is running as a service
4 cores
(i have downgraded so its working at the moment)
I have a sonarr.trace log if you want it, let me know how to get it to you.

Mine is working normally, just eating up my CPU. I am awaiting the next update. If I have troubles with CPU consumption I just shutdown Sonarr for a bit. I can also provide logs if you would like them.

One has to be installed, with Windows 10, it ships with Windows, but that may have been upgraded since.

We’ll need ((trace logs)) at a minimum to troubleshoot further.

Uninstall and reinstall, not a solution, but more of a test, since it will upgrade again. You can ((backup)) first to ensure you don’t lose your DB.

Here are the logs and what the tasks are doing. Looks like RSS. Also looking at the logs with an untrained eye it looks like a lot of searching for shows i don’t have or never had.
Logs va DropBox

Yeah, it looks like the RSS Sync task is stuck and hasn’t finished executing in 21 hours.

Completely normal when processing RSS feeds to come across shows you don’t have as it’s the latest feed of all releases, it’s up to Sonarr to find the ones you need from there.

It looks like Jackett returns an http URL and when requested redirects to another URL (https I assume), but Sonarr never fetches the redirected URL, this explains the CPU taking up 25% and would happen whenever Sonarr needed to follow a redirect.

Thanks for the logs, given all your grabs had this issue it made it much easier to track down.

Ahh cool. That makes sense re rss seeing other shows.

No problem at all. Is it something I’ve set up wrong? Or something that will be fixed in a new update?

Tnx to the logs we were able to identify the bug caused by a change in the previous version. That particular scenario wasn’t tested in our automated tests, so it slipped through the cracks. It should be fixed in the next release.
It only affected redirects for downloads urls, not indexer queries, so it was’t noticed since most download urls don’t require redirects.

If you’re on develop then you should get it within the hour, and once we’re sure develop is stable we’ll probably get it to master relatively soon too since it could affect more than just 25% but also cause all sorts of failed grabs.

Awesome! Thanks guys! I only just got around to turning on my trace logs but I’m glad you got it resolved without me!

@rhysers, lemme know how it goes with 2.0.0.4941.

Working great! I went back and re searched a some missing episodes and it got them. And my idle is back down to near 0

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.