Sonarr.app won't start

when you say you deleted the stand alone application what exactly did you delete?

when you installed it through terminal - how did you do that?

You extracted the backup zip file and replaced nzbdrone.db? Unless the backup is also corrupt it should work properly.

I first got it from the sonarr website download and then just dragged it into my application folder. Thatā€™s the install that went bad. So I followed this process. It was more laborious but worked.

Hey I got it working! I will try to explain what i did in order to help others using OS X yosemite:

1. Launch Terminal.

2. Copy/paste or type in the following command

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

then look for the .config directory under your username in finder

I could see under the ā€œnzbdroneā€ subdirectory that there was a backup directory.

I unzipped the backup directory and copied the two files that were extracted from the dated backup zip file:

nzbdrone.db
config.xml

restarted the iMac. I could have probably just killed the app using the activity monitor app .

tried to run sonarr.app. went to localhost:8989 and nothing appears in web browser.

so then i renamed the nzbdrone directory located in the previously hidden .config directory to oldnzbdrone. I wanted to save the config.xml and nzbdrone.db files there .

I deleted any old nzbdrone directories and sonarr.apps i could find in applications and downloads.

I redownloaded the new install package located at:
http://download.sonarr.tv/v2/master/latest/NzbDrone.master.osx.zip

a new sonarr.app was extracted. I ran the app. localhost:8989 appeared! no shows or anything listed. just like a new installation

I checked the .config directory again and noticed a brand new ā€œnzbdroneā€ directory and previously renamed ā€œoldnzbdroneā€ directory which contained the old config.xml and nzbdrone.db files which didnā€™t work.

so i copied over the config.xml and nzbdrone.db from the ā€œoldnzbdroneā€ directory to the new nzbdrone directory located under .config directory.

i killed the sonarr.app via the activity monitor app (processes) and then restarted the sonarr.app.

Bingo! localhost:8989 web page popped up with all my previous shows in place!

glad its working and now i understand a little more how the data structure works for this program

question i have is:

If I copied the backup config.xml and nzbdrone.db to the active nzbdrone directory located under .config directory and that didnā€™t work;

then why did a fresh install with the same files transferred over work? especially if the log reported that the database was corrupted?

Thatā€™s great. I did try the activity monitor myself. The issue was that it wouldnā€™t open so the activity monitor didnā€™t help

Clicking on the Sonarr app will not do anything magicalā€¦ You must then type localhost:8989 in your browser (safari?). This will open the GUIā€¦ Have fun!

IT WORKED!!! Thanks everyone! I did what @Wingfat suggested and it launched no problem.

I had the same problem since upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.2. I used @benzer recommendations with a little difference. I downloaded a new copy of Sonarr and killed the ongoing process (Sonarr) using Process Montior. Once killed I copied the new Sonarr I downloaded into the application folder. Replacing the data when copying into the Applications folder. Started up no problem. No loss of shows or data.

I had to both replace my nzbdrone.db from backup as well as blow away logs.db (they were apparently both corrupt) ā€“ and that was enough to let it kick back over. Also if you do restore from a backup version itā€™s probably a good idea to do a rescan right away as well :slight_smile:

I just did a fresh install of my os and loaded my entire computer from and image. I then realized that sonarr will not start again. I tried reinstalling it and also reinstalling from terminal. I still cannot get it to start. However it was working earlier with no issues on start up. I am on a mac and loaded all my information from a time machine back up. This should have put all files back identically. Please help

Tried the restore method you suggested on github however the application will not launch so i cant do that

Log files of the failing startup would be the first thing to look at.

In my haste while waiting for your response I wiped out my entire drive. I have a fresh install of my os and reinstalled mono and sonarr. It opened now. I couldnā€™t figure it out so I did that. Iā€™m hoping I wonā€™t have any other problems in the future. BTW yes sonarr was worth wiping NY entire os!

This worked for me too THANKS!!!

Hi all, looking for some help to get sooner up and running again.
Had it going no problem for a week on my mac and not sure what I did but seems like its happened to others here (i.e. know the localhost domain to access once its running)

Someone will need to explain to me clearly what to do in terminal as have never used it.

Copying and pasting this below did nothing:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

Not sue if it matters but to my untrained eye looks like another program I have called The Unarchiver is the default for opening the NzbDrone.exe file?

You need to run Sonarr through mono:

mono --debug /path/toNzbDrone.exe where /path/to is the full path to NzbDrone.exe

Hi Markus,

Thanks for helping me out with this as Iā€™m desperate to get sonarr up and running again but please be patient as Iā€™m probably not as I.T. smart as some.

Sonarr is installed straight into the App directory on OS X 10.10.3.

Should I be entering some command line in Terminal? Iā€™ve tried some pathways here and attached for you to see. Or should I be doing something in mono (which Iā€™ve never seen or used).

By the way canā€™t afford the fresh HD wipe.

Use the path you used (to NzbDrone.exe) in the terminal after mono --debug. Or just delete the existing app and redownload Sonarr and start it up the same way you did before, the settings are stored elsewhere.

Ahhh, got it. Thanks!

Looks like a similar problem to what user Benzer posted??

(Have tried uninstalling and installing app several times (Iā€™m guessing something remains post uninstall which continues to be a problem)

Next stepā€¦?

Yeah, the config file and database are stored outside of the install directory, on OS X that is:

/Users/<user>/.config/NzbDrone/ (replace <user> with the user running Sonarr).

Easiest way is to restore a database backup: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Backup-and-Restore