Series Runtime is 0 error still occuring

This is re the error message: “Series runtime is 0, unable to validate size until it is available” when searching for releases.

I know this issue was raised a few years back and the finger was pointed at the tvdb API, but two years later and it’s still happening. For me it’s an almost daily occurence. Today I had to manually download two shows, Lincoln Lawyer and Essex Serpent.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue? If there isn’t, is it maybe time to build something in to Sonarr to help address this problem when an external service breaks in this way? Could we have a setting that lets you stipulate the default runtime for a show when it’s added in case the API returns a 0 value?

Lee.

I know this issue was raised a few years back and the finger was pointed at the tvdb API, but two years later and it’s still happening

The root cause has not changed. The series has no runtime on TVDb or it has not cleared the ~36hrs worth of caches that exist.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue?

Update TVDb earlier

Could we have a setting that lets you stipulate the default runtime for a show when it’s added in case the API returns a 0 value?

No setting, but a fix is in develop for pilot series only. https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/commit/cc9fc1e3c36e6a8bcc23ea275ca2460d3fd5f6a0

This is and will always be a common problem for netflix and similar series until they fix their poor API.

I (still) have this from time to time… happening today with the new show The Old Man on FX

Same here. On the same show.
Frankly, the approach suggested here is pathetic. The user experience is poor and rather than suggest a fix to our problem the answer is to blame someone else and make it their problem. We should not be relying on something we know is broken without a belt and braces workaround.
Very poor.

we need a bypass runtime check on shows or something if this issue is going to be persistent

Again, there is a fix in develop to assume the runtime for the first episode in the series.

The issue ultimately has nothing to do with Sonarr and is due to TVDb’s poorly developed API that caches all data for over 24hrs combined with the community not updating series data timely.

There is no issue.
There is no bug.
There is no new override to add when an override process already exists.

And the override is simple and easy - do a manual search and manual grab…and if necessary manual import from the queue

Again, there is a fix in develop to assume the runtime for the first episode in the series.
OK, but why only the first episode? What happens when a series gets released all in one go on day one?

The issue ultimately has nothing to do with Sonarr
No. The cause of the issue has nothing to do with Sonarr. The issue is a very real problem for Sonarr users.

and is due to TVDb’s poorly developed API
Agreed. So what should we do about it? We’ve got software that relies on a shoddy API. Should we just throw our hands up and accept it or should we route around it for the benefit of the software and its users?

There is no issue.
There absolutely is. I suffer from it on a weekly basis. As do others.

There is no bug.
Agreed. However, there is an opportunity to improve the software.

…the override is simple and easy - do a manual search and manual grab
So, your solution to this problem is for all users to perform a time consuming manual workaround every time a new series comes along rather than enhance the software once to automate doing it for all the users affected?

1 Like

Keep in mind that you’re reacting in a very entitled way for an issue you have with free software developed by maybe a handful of people who sacrifice their free time for you…

Just a friendly reminder :hugs:

2 Likes

It’s not just the first episode, it’s any episode that airs with 24 hours of the first episode of the season.

1 Like

I am no programmer, but it could be fixed by a sub routine in de software that says if the run time is not filled insert a value.

Thanks for all the hard work.
Frans

That’s already been done to as Markus already mentioned.

I’m assuming that you meant within 24 hours. If that’s the case, is there a option for this? I’m monitoring the “Mike Judge’s Beavis and Butt-Head” series that just came out, they released 4 episodes today yet none of them were downloaded because of the “Runtime is 0” error (which seems to be the first time it’s occurred for me) and had to be manually searched and grabbed.

No, but the fix hasn’t hit the main release.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.