Questions about tags

Sonarr version (exact version): 3.0.1.441

I am thinking of using tags in a custom post proc script so I have been messing around with creating and deleting tags using the API. I had six tags which I created with the API and were not assigned to anything. They showed up in the GUI (settings/tags) and when I queried the API through http://localhost:port/api/tag?&apikey=xxxxx. At some point I assigned one of the tags to a series and then only that tag showed with the query. They were still visible in the GUI but after restarting Sonarr only the tag that had been assigned remained.

Is there something that automatically/periodically removes tags that are not assigned to a series?
Are there any disadvantages or performance hits with having tags for all episodes or having many tags?
Will having tags for my purpose interfere with their intended purpose?

Yes, the health check task cleans up any tag not assigned to anything.

You can’t assign tags to episodes, I’m not really sure I understand what you’re trying to do. Tags aren’t sent to custom scripts, they’re only used at the Connections level to control which series trigger the various notifications.

Sorry, I did not mean episodes but series.

Are there any disadvantages or performance hits with having tags for all series or having many tags?

I know the tags are not sent to custom scripts but I can easily get the series info from the API and extract the tags from there.

The current script uses a list of series with labels/tags (a PowerShell hash) which is maintained outside of Sonarr. It seems more elegant to use Sonarr tags instead but I’m wondering what impact assigning tags to all series would have on Sonarr. The script runs every time an episode is imported so I guess I need to consider the impact of the API calls to get series info also.

I think you’re more likely to have performance issues with series before you do with tags and even then that’s into the thousands. If you do run into issues I’d be curious to know more about how they’re being used, but you should be fine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.