Permissions issue with Ubuntu Software version of Sonarr

Sonarr version (Unknown, but latest on the Ubuntu Software Store):
Mono version (UNKN):
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS:
Cannot startup Sonarr due to write issues in snap Sonarr directory:

[Info] Bootstrap: Starting Sonarr - /snap/sonarr/112/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe - Version 2.0.0.5322
[Info] AppFolderInfo: Data directory is being overridden to [/var/snap/sonarr/common]
[Trace] DiskProviderBase: Directory ‘/var/snap/sonarr/common’ isn’t writable. Access to the path “/var/snap/sonarr/common/sonarr_write_test.txt” is denied.

[Fatal] ConsoleApp: EPIC FAIL!

[v2.0.0.5322] NzbDrone.Common.Exceptions.SonarrStartupException: Sonarr failed to start: AppFolder /var/snap/sonarr/common is not writable
at NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.AppFolderFactory.Register () [0x0007c] in C:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Common\EnvironmentInfo\AppFolderFactory.cs:50
at NzbDrone.Host.Bootstrap.Start (NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.StartupContext startupContext, NzbDrone.Host.IUserAlert userAlert, System.Action`1[T] startCallback) [0x00050] in C:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Host\Bootstrap.cs:36
at NzbDrone.Console.ConsoleApp.Main (System.String[] ar

Sonarr needs to be able to write to it’s App Data directory to create/update the DB, write logs, etc, based on the logs you’re telling Sonarr to use that path, so you’ll either need to make it writable or specify a path that Sonarr can write to where it contain the DB, logs, images, etc.

How can I make it writable… I accidentally changed perms in the past and even after the reinstallation of Ubuntu I can’t change it back…

chown to change the owner and/or chmod to modify the rights for the owner/group/everyone. That isn’t anything Sonarr specific and there are countless guides in google results on how to do it. I’m not going to get into how to do that here, but if someone else wants to they’re welcome to.

Yeah but the issue is that I already did chmod 777 on that directory and it didn’t help at all… Is there anything specific I can do to fix it? Cause a simple RW change doesn’t really help it…

im also having permission problems after a while with sonarr where it stops being able to import files with permission erorrs. restarting sonarr fixes it so I dont think its a permission issue but more of a sonarr bug

@markus101 This is a snap image, I don’t know how much he can modify it.

The problem is:

SNAP_COMMON:

Directory for system data that is common across revisions of a snap…This directory is owned and writable by root and is meant to be used by background applications (daemons, services)… Typical value: /var/snap/hello-world/common

SNAP_DATA:

Directory for system data of a snap…This directory is owned and writable by root and is meant to be used by background applications (daemons, services)…Typical value: /var/snap/hello-world/27

SNAP_USER_COMMON

Directory for user data that is common across revisions of a snap…The directory is suitable for large data that the application can access even if it was made or modified by a future version of a snap…Typical value /home/zyga/snap/hello-world/common

SNAP_USER_DATA

Directory for user data…Typical value: /home/zyga/snap/hello-world/27

From: https://docs.snapcraft.io/environment-variables/7983

@strikepredator easiest thing for you to do, would probably be to run the snap as root, and set the chmod/chown advanced settings in the CDH settings in Sonarr to the appropriate uid/gid and permissions

@markus101 I don’t use the snap release, so I am not sure how configurable it is. The release may need to be updated so it uses SNAP_USER_COMMON as the default path for it’s configuration.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.