One Download Client - Two Root Folder

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5343
OS: Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 with Service Core App Compatibility Feature on Demand

Description of issue:

I have only been using Sonarr from April 2020. So far it has been ok. I am in the process of moving it to a Cloud Server (VPS) so I do not have to run my desktop 24/7. On my desktop, I had all my TV shows in one folder and they were 1.7TB. I deleted stuff that was already watched and got them down to 1.4TB. I have successfully copied all the episodes up to the cloud server.

Because the cloud server is not owned by me, I want to have my TV shows synced with cloud storage. I have a Microsoft 365 Family subscription that allows me to have 1TB OneDrive storage for 6 accounts. I am using 3 of them to sync with the video files.

Since I only have 1TB each, I had to split my 1.4TB of TV shows into 2 OneDrives. So I have Current TV Shows folder syncing with the first OneDrive and Past TV shows folder syncing with another OneDrive. I will then have a movies folder syncing with a 3rd OneDrive. I have added both Tv Shows folders as root folders in Sonarr and used Series Editor to update the root folders for the TV shows. So far so good. This is where I run into a little snag. I use uTorrent as one of my Download clients and I had configured it with a sonarr label that moved the completed downloads to my one root folder in my local setup. But now in my cloud setup, since I have 2 root folders, I do not know how to configure the download client to move the downloads to the correct root folder. In Sonarr you can only configure one label in the Download client configuration and in uTorrent I can only add the same label once. So I am assuming that if I add the Current TV shows folder with the sonarr label in uTorrent, then all the new shows will move to that folder, and then I have to manually transfer to the other root folder which is not preferable. I want this automated as much as possible.

Just to give an idea of what I have tried already:- I, at first, was looking for a way to pool my OneDrives into one large storage. Tested out AirCLuster but that kept giving me errors and I just requested a refund. I was going to use Windows Server built-in Storage spaces with RaiDrive as local drives but the disks have to be uninitiated to be detected by Storage Spaces. I looked at StableBit DrivePool and successfully pool the RaiDrives together but if the drives already have space they are excluded. So I would have to move the files, create the pool, and then move them back. I considered doing this but since DrivePool is a paid service and after my experience with AirCluster, I am a bit turned off for paying for a solution. I am already paying for the VPS. If I can figure this out without paying for another solution, would be great.

So I then resorted to using the OneDrive desktop sync. So I set up the first OneDrive and I have 2 shared folders, each from the 2 other oneDrives, hence why I have 2 root Folders for TV shows.

So I am hoping someone out there already has a multiple root folder set up in sonarr and they can explain how they get the download client to transfer the completed files to the correct root folder.

Or at least a successful workaround they used to get their downloaded files moved where it needs to go. I considered 2 download clients with labels to 2 different folders, but that would not fix the issue. So the only thing I can imagine is have 2 sonarr setups on the same machine with a different root folder in each and different labels or if that cannot work, set up another application that does the same thing as sonarr and have sonarr handle say the current tv shows and the other application handle the past tv shows.

Anyone with any ideas?

It shouldn’t. Sonarr should do the move from your download folder to the sorted series folder, and you can configure however much root folders you like in sonarr.

Thank you for your response.

I had configured my Download client according to a post I found online with the instructions on how to use uTorrent with sonarr.

But if I am understanding your reply, I should put the completed movies from uTorrent in a sonarr folder and then let sonarr move the episodes from that folder to the relevant root folder depending on the location of the series?

Am I understanding you correctly?

I still haven’t figured your setup out completely from what you posted, sorry :slight_smile:

Very high level overview of the process:

• sonarr sends a .torrent to uTorrent and monitors uTorrent to see when it’s completed
  • uTorrent downloads the episode to a download folder
  • sonarr moves (or copies if you want to continue seeding, but that’s a whole other story) the file from your download folder to the sorted series folder

“download folder” = whatever folder is managed by uTorrent. uTorrent should NOT rename files or move them, especially not in the “sorted series” folder.
“sorted series folder” = folder managed by sonarr. This is known as the root folder in sonarr. Under this folder, sonarr will create series folders, season folders, and move files from the download folder into the appropriate folder and rename the files as per the naming conventions configured in sonarr. You can add any number of root folders in sonarr.

I assume the root folders to be your onedrive folders in this case. uTorrent should not be touching those.

Yes. I think I understand now. What happened was that in my local setup, I had uTorrent moving the sonarr labeled downloads to my sonarr root folder. Either the tutorial I was following said to do that or I misunderstood and did that by mistake. I think the latter. It was working so I never double checked it. So when I was duplicating the uTorrent settings on the cloud setup, and I went to point the sonarr label to the mapped folder, I then became confused since i now had 2 sonarr root folders. The thing is in my local setup, i have a sonarr folder in my torrents completed folder, so I am thinking I mapped the wrong folder in uTorrent and just did not realise. So after i read your response, i mapped uTorrent to the torrents\completed\sonarr folder in my cloud setup and it seems to be working. I have done a couple downloads and verified that each went to the correct root folder when completed.

So thank you.

The only issue I have now is that I still dont understand which is the best setting between hard linking or copying the downloaded episode in sonarr. I would prefer if sonarr deleted the episode from the torrent folder after it moves it to the root folder but it does not. I had hard link at first as it said that saves space but then when I was making space and I deleted the episode in the torrents folder, it also deleted in the sonarr root folder. I then used copy but obviously my space doubles up and I manually have to delete the episode from the torrent folder when I am running out of space. I wish there was a way to automate this clean up process.

A bit late, but:
A hardlink is very generally speaking a shortcut to the file. Once the file is 100% downloaded, sonarr can hardlink it in its root folder.
Once the the torrent is marked as “complete” (or equivalent status in your torrent client), sonarr will move the file over to the root folder, and do the cleanup on the torrent end.

I’m not sure on which end the hardlink is created, in the download folder or in the root folder. I don’t really use torrents and/or hardlinking.

E.g. you may have a goal of “seed for a month or until ratio 2.0”.
The file may be complete after an hour, so sonarr can already do the hardlink (or file copy).
After a while the ratio is met, so the torrent is marked as “complete” in your client. Sonarr can read this status from your torrent client and then clean everything up (delete torrent etc).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.