Not Starting On Boot After Windows 10 Upgrade

After upgrading my computer to Windows 10, Sonarr will no longer start on boot. I can manually start it no problem by clicking on the icon from the start menu. After a reboot I can see the following as the last entry in the C:\ProgramData\NzbDrone\logs\nzbdrone.txt log:

15-9-3 08:19:10.0|Info|Bootstrap|Starting Sonarr - C:\ProgramData\NzbDrone\bin\nzbdrone.console.exe - Version 2.0.0.3357

In the Windows application event log I can see the following:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. No user action is required.  
DETAIL - 
2 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-336065808-3660298878-1097403256-1002:
Process 4572 (\Device\HarddiskVolume5\ProgramData\NzbDrone\bin\NzbDrone.Console.exe) has opened key     \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-336065808-3660298878-1097403256-1002
Process 4572 (\Device\HarddiskVolume5\ProgramData\NzbDrone\bin\NzbDrone.Console.exe) has opened key     \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-336065808-3660298878-1097403256-1002\Control Panel\International

Everything worked fine when I was running it under Windows 8.1 so I’m guess I have to change something in my service definition, but I’m not sure what.

In C:\ProgramData\NzbDrone\bin there are two service files, one to uninstall and another to install, can you try removing the service then installing it again and see if that fixes it.

Looks like Windows is blocking Sonarr from starting for some reason though.

Ok, so I tried that and here are my results:

It still won’t start on boot, but it didn’t give that error in the event log this time. Now I am getting this error in the logs and the service is not started:

15-9-4 08:30:41.5|Error|Sabnzbd|Unable to connect to SABnzbd, please check your settings
NzbDrone.Core.Download.Clients.DownloadClientException: Unable to connect to SABnzbd, please check     your settings ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server --->     System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively     refused it 127.0.0.1:8080

Once I manually start it now, it complains that my network path is no longer accessible. I believe this is because the service was previous running using my account instead of a system account. Does it matter if I switch the service back to using my account? I left it as system account just in case that was causing the issue.

Should be safe to change it, that might have been the issue - your user might not have had the writes to log on as a service.

Anything in the event logs saying why it didn’t start?

I was able to get it working by setting the service to Automatic (Delayed Start). I noticed this message in the System event log:

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the NzbDrone service to connect.

So I figured maybe there’s just too much firing all at once during startup. Seems to have fixed the issue. I did a reboot and after about 5 minutes the service automatically started.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.