Issue with a specific anime/series not finding episodes

So, for most part, sonarr works well and i have been using it for a year or two now (Anime/Shows) and am very happy. But recently i added a new anime series and even though my indexers actually have the episodes, sonarr is not detecting nor downloading the said episodes (the show was added as “series type”: Anime). I use free torrent indexers (rarbg, nyaa) as well as usenet (nzbgeek).

Example of an Anime that is doing this: http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=327507

So, when i click manual search on an episode on sonarr, it says “no results found”. BUT, if i change the “series type” from anime -> standard, and then click manual search, i get hits, although it complains that it couldnt detect the season.

In case of nzbgeek, i noticed that the show gets uploaded into TV->HD (5040) rather than TV->Anime (5070), although some does exist in TV->Anime (5070). So, i went to sonarr’s indexer settings (for nzbgeek) and added 5040 (as well as 5070) under anime categories, but that did nothing. So, im actually confused why sonarr isnt picking this up, and how i can go about finding a solution? I have a feeling it has something to do with the use of the characters ' and & in the name.

Cheers :smiley:

We need some more information.

Sonarr version (exact version):
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows):
((Debug logs)):
(Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings and post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar, do not post them directly here)

I doubt any of that would be of relevance in this case, im sure you could recreate the issue on the latest version of sonarr in any OS (i really doubt this is an issue related to Version/OS). But if you insist:

Sonarr Version: 2.0.0.4855
OS: Unraid, using the unraid docker for sonarr (https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/sonarr/).

Pastebin of a debug log while doing a search for episode 1: https://pastebin.com/PUxXpaVd

As you can see, the api call is searching for the word and rather than the character &. When i search for the show on nzbgeek manually, i get hits if i use & but not if i use and. Also i get far more results when searching using knight's as opposed to knights (note: ').

May i make a feature request? For any given show, can we have a setting that we can use to override the shows searching name (the name/string you use to search indexers)? I mean, it seems like sonarr already removes ' and converts & into and, but is there a way a user can override that and insist to search for a show with a specific name (for example, the shows japanese name)? To add to that, maybe even give the user the ability to specify variables like season/episode/absolute-episode (ie: “cool show ${SEASON} ${EPISODE}” or “cool show ${ABSOLUTE_EPISODE}”).

Also somewhat unrelated (but related to my feature request suggestion), there are couple of anime/tv shows that name seasons in strange ways, as well as episodes. Here is an example: http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=79106

• some show/releases names the files as cool show ep15 (which doesnt get picked up by sonarr).
  • some shows/releases name seasons with strange season names as opposed to traditional numbers like S02 or using absolute episode numbers. for example, cool show second chapter - 15.

and vs & and removing ' is a known issue, with some added complications that anime and standard series aren’t consistent, even on the same indexer. Ideally we wouldn’t do title based searching at all and it’d be done by ID (TVDB, or something else) + absolute episode number.

No plans for exactly that, but similar:

Sonarr will search multiple names if it has them (which come from thexem.de)

Sonarr can handle those names, but searching is limited when they use different formats or names Sonarr doesn’t know about, but names from thexem.de are used when searching.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.