Is there an easy way to find missing episodes after a hard drive crash?

Hi, I’m new to the forum and hope this isn’t a stupid question…
I use StableBit DrivePool to manage 5 hard drives, the software load balances my data across all of the drives, unfortunately last night one of the drives failed which means I have lost a significant number of files, which leads me to my question which is:
Is there an easy way of getting Sonnar to find which files have been lost or will I have to remove all of my series links and re-add them, again so that Sonnar re-indexes everything?
I’m trying to avoid this as I have over the years collected several hundred series

Sonarr version 2.0.0.5344
OS Windows 10 Pro 20H2

if youve removed the corrupted files, or they were deleted when it happened, then sonarr should notice at the next full scan (or you can kick one off yourself) which i think happens every 12 hours

if you have the ignore deleted option enabled that could be an issue

once its rescanned then you should see everything missing under wanted

Hi Rhom, thanks for responding, I’m not sure if I’ve chosen the right option for a scan I’ve gone into System, Tasks and selected the Refresh Series option - is that correct?
Thanks again

it should be yes.

dont forget that sonarr will not go and search for those missing episodes though. youre going to have to kick off manual searches from the wanted list (i cant remember if that was in v2?)

the v3 wanted page has a search selected and search all icons, if v2 has those then you should be able to kick off manual searches for all the missing stuff

Hi Rhom, thanks for the info, I’ve upgraded to V3 and making good progress.

Did you ever consider something more reliable than what ever that StableBit mess is?
Lots of options out there.
1 drive for parity and you’ve got a system that can’t be taken down by a single drive fail.
UNRAID, ZFS, BTRFS, RAID etc even windows raid can give you parity (don’t do windows raid though it’s dumb)
It’s worth considering something, there are always options even for mismatched drives.

Hi MDrodge, thanks for your thoughts. Over the years I’ve had no issues with StableBit, I’ve found it to be really good when adding additional hard drives - currently I have 7 drives between 4 and 12Tb in size, each drive is formatted with NTFS and can (if it hasn’t failed :() be read by another device also as the software also presents one pooled drive in Windows for the total available size so I can easily create my network shares. In an ideal world I would start from scratch with a raid setup and have multiple drives of the same size and use one as a parity drive but as I understand it (and could well be wrong) if I tried to do that now each disk would only use the size of the smallest disc so I would end up with a lot of unused space. I totally agree with if I had a parity raid system I would not have experienced an issue but I’m not in a position to do so.

Btrfs has mitigation for bit rot and ntfs doesn’t even come close.
With windows even if you have parity it’s useless and gets overwritten if a drive goes bad.

You can mix with some solution.
Unraid is a one and for what you have seems a reasonable fit.
Any size drive because it’s not raid (hence Unraid) you have 1(or more parity drives) and you would run windows as a Virtual machine and it would be completely separate from the array.

Look into it that’s all I’m saying.
Data security has come a long way since ntfs was deemed a good idea.
Ntfs is like 20 years old I’d say and was from a time of 5gb hdd’s now 5tb is on the smell side.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as you say NTFS has been around for a while, I’ll take a look at unraid and see what else is about.

Unraid isn’t free though.

For me it was totally worth it just help stop my files becoming broken and give me a parity drive so if I removed 1 drive everything keeps working exactly the same.

Harddrives lie and return corrupt data claiming it to be correct so having no parity is a risk if you care even a little bit about that data.

It took me a few years to find the best fit (had to reshape so it did fit to)(I’ve lost so much data over the years and some of it’s not replaceable)
I could probably do it better myself but like you I wanted to use different size drives and add to it.
Anyway I wish you luck.

Sorry to hear that, but were you not using any form of duplication in stablebit? I have lost a few drives in my 8 drive drivepool, and it evacuates to a safer place when a drive fails when there is duplication involved. I don’t think worrying about dealing with another solution is needed as some suggested, just need to use the one that you have to its potential.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.