Native mono crashes [kernel fix released]

A ‘me too’ post, although I presented a little differently at first. My scheduled tasks would just stop running. I updated to current dev release as of now and it started giving the stack trace issues.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

Linux home-server 3.13.0-49-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 10 20:11:33 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

libmediainfo0:amd64 0.7.67-2ubuntu1

sqlite3 3.8.2-1ubuntu2

sonarr Version
Mono Version
3.10.0 (tarball Wed Nov 5 12:50:04 UTC 2014)

@tymanthius Just try booting into 3.13.0-46 via grub, unless you already deleted that old kernel version.

I think I already deleted it, but as I’m not at home, I can’t do that safely. And my wife will NOT be happy if I remotely break it and she can’t watch tv.

BTW, just got this too:

EPIC FAIL: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at (wrapper unknown) System.Threading.Monitor:FastMonitorEnterV4 (object,bool&)
at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.SchedulerThread () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in :0
[Fatal] GlobalExceptionHandlers: EPIC FAIL: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Stacktrace:

Native stacktrace:

Has anyone looked at latest mono and tried building it by hand? I was about to browse over and see what they had.

You can reinstall 46 via apt-get. But you won’t be able to boot into it without physical access (grub bootloader) or you’ll have to reconfigure grub to pick 46 as default.

Those error are all very related.

Compiling mono versions won’t help, by now I’ve tested 3.2.8, 3.6, 3.8, 3.10, 3.12 they all crash, one faster than the other, and other ppl tests newer versions which don’t seem to work properly either.

When you get home, reinstall and boot the 3.13.0-46 kernel.

I have just downgraded my Kernal to 3.13.0-46-generic x86_64 and Sonarr has been stable for about 4 days now!

Same boat here. Downgraded to 3.13.0-46-generic x86_64 on friday and haven’t crashed all weekend (as opposed to hourly on 3.13.0-49-generic x86_64) so defo something new in the kernel there.

Do you still need logs or anything @Taloth

Wanted to add a ‘me too’ post that backtracking to 3.13.0-46 kernel has cleared up all my issues with sonarr.

I am crashing too… Here is my info as best as I can provide it: http://pastebin.com/EF0T0zz1

Tnx guys for the confirmation. Looks like booting in the -46 kernel is a good workaround until the real problem can be fixed.

TL/DR Debian, 3.10.0 runs stable for a week, starts crashing 1/day after 2 weeks or so. New hardware and Arch Linux. 3.12.1 runs stable for a week. Starts crashing 1/day after 1-2 weeks or so.

As an update. For recollection, my Debian installation seemed to run fine for a week or three. And then at least 10 crashes occurred, randomly (at first every 30-24 hours - in the end they seemed to happen within a few hours). @Taloth knows what I am talking about, he spent about 30 hours on my machines via. SSH.

It seemed there was a very subtle hardware (pentium dualcore laptop 1.5 GHz) error involved affecting memory (1 out of 18 passes showed it in the end).

I swapped the hardware to something much smaller (eeePc 900MHz) that is very reliable, though (tested everything thoroughly and the hardware runs at high load). This time I ran Arch Linux as it offers better control to swap the mono version using the PACkage MANager.

The crashes happened at first. We downgraded at first from 3.12.1 to 3.10.0. Crashes gone. Then we used the recent git 3.12.x branch. Crashes gone. Then we apparently used the stock distro 3.12.1 again (that was crashing) - no crashes. For a day. Then a week. Then two weeks.

A few days ago. Looky looky - SIGSEGV. Sadly I messed around with the system with following things

• Converted FAT/NTFS drives to ext4
  • Used mhddfs to pool my drives
  • Installed nginx for reverse proxy support
  • Implemented quite sophisticated permission restrictions so users (processes) can only write where they need to
  • Installed CouchPotato

I waited at first. The SIGSEGVs came 3 times. Again once every 30-24 hours. Now I downgraded mono to 3.10.0 and everything is running like a beast again. That includes 1MB/s NZBget, 2MB/s NFS, Sonarr update, Kodi update for the MariaDB, rsync from 1 usb drive to the other on the same controller and looking for prime numbers while simultaneously error checking. My HTPC will playback (the 2MB/s NFS) at 1080p with no buffering without interruption.

Sonarr has been going strong for 3-4 days again. I wonder if in a week or two the crashes come back even on 3.10.0. Then I would not understand the world anymore and feel taunted, but I guess by now we all do.

Just crashed again on 3.10.0.

Time to check out git, sigh.

I am not sure if this is any help to anyone, but I have been getting the same problems as most on here with Sonarr crashing. I even ditched it for Sickrage it was that bad.

Booting into 3.13.0-46 via grub did seem to help a lot and I would receive a crash maybe once every 24 hours.

Webmin just informed me package updates were available for mono to 4.0.1. I took a risk and upgraded then restarted into the normal kernal and so far everything has been running smoothly for the past 6 hours, and things seem to be quicker. Previously I would get a couple of hours use tops before Sonarr crashed. Hopefully it will remain stable.

I’m getting consistent crashes also, it runs for about 24 hours on each start.
I tried doing the “upstart method” from here
ubuntu server 14.04.2 LTS
kernel 3.13.0-49-generic
mono 3.10.0
sonarr 2.0.0.3004

Is this a consistent problem for others? I’m about to jump ship here. Thanks!

@mrdrew It’s a kernel issue, not technically a sonarr issue. It is being worked. There is the possibility that mono 4.0.1 fixes it.

I just upgraded to mono 4.0.1 on kernel -46. Seems ok. I’m going to give it a little while longer, then move back to a new kernel & see what happens.

I see they have just pushed kernel 51 out the door. Anyone tried it yet?

I already ran the testcase on mono 4.0.1 and kernel 3.13.0-51, fails.

Bug has been filed with the ubuntu kernel bug tracker. At this point there’s little I can do but point ppl at the workarounds.

Would this affect Debian users? I installed Sonarr as a plugin for Open Media Vault and experience the same crashes as others reported in this thread.

I can report daily crashes on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6:

• Sonarr: 2.0.0.3004
  • Mono: 3.12.1_1

Guys, please read the ‘Data Required’ section at the first post.

I like that idea of updating mono. I followed these instructions to add the official mono repository to my apt-get packages (for ubuntu), then these instructions to force mono to upgrade from 3.xxx to the latest 4.xxx

We’ll see if that works. DolphinPromotions, did that fix it for you? I will check back also.

+20hrs still working…
+30hrs still working. I’m gonna call this wrapped up and fixed!
30 days good to go.