GUI Update Issues

Correct.

I applied the updated PBI and my issue is now resolved. Since the person commenting is also the person who updated the package, I assume that the solution used was the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environmental variable.

AdianIV,

Can you please elaborate on what was done to fix this? What must the XDG_CONFIG_HOME variable be set to? Not sure if this applies in my case or not?

I also see the .mono directory within my .config directory (on the same level as NzbDrone). The .config dir and and all subdirs are 777.

EDIT: I think just deleting the .mono dir may have solved this for me. It could have been leftover from a previous install.

Good questions. I wish I could give you more, but since I wasn’t the one who actually figured it out, I don’t have a lot more to go with.

I believe the XDG_CONFIG_HOME variable was set to a location where the media account (the account that runs Sonarr in my installation) has Write access to.

I believe the thought was that the media account was trying to write to /.config/.mono because it did not have a location of its own to write to. Setting the environment variable addresses that, and so the .config directory becomes less relevant.

Yeah, deleting the .mono dir worked.

Just to be of help to anyone who’s looking for a fix using their own scripts. You can add the following command to your init script to add the variable:

export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="/some/path/"

This command should be somewhere before ‘run_rc_command’.

Note that ‘/some/path/’ should be writable for the user that’s running Sonarr.

This will fix the issues with the GUI not updating and allows SignalR to run as it should.

florisrobbemont could you put this in layman’s terms please?

I’m running Mono 3.1.0 on my QNAP NAS and the latest Sonarr version as I’m on the develop channel… it becomes pointless to tell you the version as it changes almost daily.

What can I do to apply this fix, in steps?

Thanks.

As far as I can see, QNAP is running on Linux which is a bit different from FreeNAS’ Unix.

In both Linux and Unix Sonarr needs to be started by ‘something’. In my case it’s an init.d script.
The key is finding that script.

How did you install Sonarr on your NAS? Was it a package or did you install it manually?

Thanks for trying to help. I installed using something that they call a “qpkg”, I don’t know how it works but I assume that it’s like a zip file with stuff and a script to move files around to specific places and modify other bits like the web server settings.

@d2877834rt5 have you tried running mono --debug --trace=N:Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR,N:Owin NzbDrone.exe > mono_trace.log to see what errors come up?

Yes but I gave up on that, because this is what happens (even when I try to change nzbdrone to sonarr):

[~] # mono --debug --trace=N:Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR,N:Owin NzbDrone.exe > mono_trace.log
Cannot open assembly ‘NzbDrone.exe’: No such file or directory.
[~] # mono --debug --trace=N:Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR,N:Owin Sonarr.exe > mono_trace.log
Cannot open assembly ‘Sonarr.exe’: No such file or directory.
[~] # mono --debug --trace=N:Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR,N:Owin nzbdrone.exe > mono_trace.log
Cannot open assembly ‘nzbdrone.exe’: No such file or directory.
[~] #

Are you in the directory where NzbDrone.exe is? If not you need to use the full path to its location (which you can get by checking the Startup Directory on System: Status in Sonarr.

Thanks, that did it.

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/Zwd4N1bc

It doesn’t appear to be the same issue. If you use Chrome or Firefox’s dev tools do you see any errors regarding signalr?

I am actually using chrome beta 43.0.2357.52 beta (64-bit)

I also tried safari and firefox and still get the issue with the notifications not updating.

Are you opening multiple tabs of Sonarr?

For dev tools I was referring to the tools that come up when you press F12 on the keyboard (Windows), I’m wondering if signalr is failing to connect or its something else blocking it.

Are you able to try without any browser plugins enabled?

No, I only use one tab at a time. Oh okay. The console on Chrome. I have to try that later. I uninstalled mono, reinstalled a newer version and sonarr stopped loading, I tried to reinstall it but it’s giving me an error so I’m waiting for the dev on the qnap side to fix the package. When he does and I can reinstall the app I will come back here.

I asked for help at the QNAP forum and a very helpful guy named Stephane who maintains the Mono package told me that I was using a broken package for Sonarr. He told me to install the latest one found here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=109449.

Now my notifications are updating.

If anybody is having this issue on QNAP I suggest to uninstall Mono, uninstall Sonarr, reboot the NAS, install Mono from here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=109446

and then install Sonarr from here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=109449

The Sonarr settings will stay even if you uninstall the app.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting back!

You’re welcome. Have a nice week.