Episode Naming Rules

Aloha all. I am wondering if there is a way to force the year in episode naming. {Series Title} will do this if there are multiple popular versions, but it doesn’t do it for all things. I would like to see an option to force the year.

My main reasoning is that they are constantly remaking old shows. I don’t want to rename my old shows when a new show comes out.

Also, under advanced settings, is there any chance of having more power in the naming format? Sonarr already pulls info using mediainfo. It would be nice if we could use some of MediaInfo’s flags.

I like to name my shows like this:
The Series Title (2010) - S01E01 - Episode Title (1) - [TV-PG, 47 Min, 720p, MPEG] [EN].mkv

Most of what I want is already there. I was thinking of switching my naming to:
The Series Title (2010) - S01E01 - Episode Title (1) HDTV-720p x264 DTS TV-PG 47 Min [EN+DE]

I would just like to add rating and duration. Duration is especially helpful for me to determine better quality shows. Strangely enough the longer versions tend to be the better quality.

Again, I would expect this only to be under advanced settings tab as the general user would never need this. Thanks again.

As a general rule original shows never require a year.
If a remake or a different shows comes out with the same name then only that requires a year and will already be dealt with by Sonarr. In actual fact adding a year to a show where it doesn’t belong is generally a bad idea.
(Its actually a terrible idea if you also use Plex.)

I understand that but occasionally that rule doesn’t apply. Take Dragnet. The one that is deemed the none year original is the 1967 version. However, the original cast was actually was in a series by the same name in 1951. This isn’t a vast majority but enough to be problematic.

Also, take lost in space. For some reason, the usenet thinks the new series is the only version. When I download the old version (1965) I have to check the shows to see if they are giving me the new one (2018).

As far as Plex, my experience has been the opposite. Back when I didn’t put a year on every show I used to have about a 95% accuracy rate, with 5% being ones I had to fix the match. Since putting a year on everything, I have yet to have one not match perfectly. My only problem really now is that the uploader doesn’t put the shows in the correct Season Episode order like Diff’rent Strokes.

Clearly user experience varies ;o)

So for me, I would like to have all the years forced in all titles, and the other features. Since I am the first person that I can find that has mentioned any of this on the forum, clearly I am in the minority. However, I think this might be more and more valuable with time.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.