Don't download unaired episodes option

Hi,

Would it be possible to add an option which prevents downloading of episodes which haven’t aired yet. It can be a leaked version(quality is bad anyway) but most of the time it’s just a fake. For example Elementary S03E15 was downloaded today, but this episode will be aired this Friday, so after it downloaded, importing failed because the file name contained S03E14.

I would like to have it excluded till the air date has reached to prevent fakes.

This isn’t something we’re considering, it opens up too many issues and Sonarr will miss things.

• Series switches days and TheTVDB hasn’t updated yet
  • it airs a day earlier in another country and isn’t uploaded on the day of the US airing (several shows have done this in the past few years)
  • its a legitimate preair with a quality well within the norm

We’d rather handle this with REAL release handling than rely on the air dates being 100% accurate.

Oke I understand your point. But what do you exactly mean with REAL releases? What are REAL releases?

1 Like

A REAL release is like a PROPER except instead of fixing a bad release (commercial, playback problems, etc), it fixes a release that was for the wrong episode (different series or wrong episode in series).

I understand, but this doesn’t fix the issue where someone is just putting crap on usenet which is never really released. The only way to detect this is because it’s released before the real air date. But I think there is not really a solution which solves both your and mine case.

1 Like

Sonarr has a great blacklist feature so on the rare occasions this happens just blacklist that release and then wait for the airdate.

FWIW I got an early version of that same Elementary episode and it looked great.

I hate to bring this back up, but perhaps it would be possible to make an option where Sonarr marks un aired shows as not monitored and then when the air date hits, it then marks it as monitored.

You can make it an optional option in sonarr, so you don’t force it someone. Perhaps you can even make it per show. (There’s one show that is constantly getting it’s episode numbers jacked up so that’s why it would be nice to have it for just that one show)

To counter your items:
Since Sonarr is just marking episodes as monitored or not it’s very easy to just simply mark it as monitored. Now it might be annoying if you didn’t realize if a show changed air dates/aired early, but this optional feature, just turn it off if it causes more issues than it fixes…

1 Like

We have no plans to prevent grabbing of unaired episodes for a couple reasons:

• Wrong episode data
  • Airs earlier in another country

I have one show that is ALWAYS releasing a fake a week early now, and more shows are starting to do this. It is screwing up everything.

I guarantee it is causing me more problems than you think you are preventing because of your couple of reasons.

I really appreciate all of the work done on this program, but I disagree with your attitude that options will not even be considered regardless of the demand for them just because you have made a decision of what is best for the user.

That is the type of attitude I would expect from Apple, not a community project.

Isn’t it always the same release group putting out the fakes? Just use restricted words to prevent them from being grabbed.

Personal opinion: every for-profit company chooses to ignore/implement feature requests as they see fit. Most don’t even answer. Not sure why you expect different from people doing this on their own dime?
I feel the devs gave a clear answer, that boils down to “more trouble than benefits”, in my experience the typical open source answer is “if you don’t like it, fork it”…

Fanboy mode off.

1 Like

Depending on what kind of fake it is, there are some postprocessing-scripts for sab&nzbget that use ffmpeg to check if a file is actually a real videofile.

1 Like

Valid video, but the video is not what the name implies. Usually it is the previous week’s episode. The biggest problem for me is that I usually let a few weeks queue up, and when I go to watch them I get duplicates and out of order episodes, and then I have to do manual intervention.

I am considering just making it unwatched and then I can fetch all my missing episodes manually just before I am ready to watch.

I do understand your point Thirrian, and again I am very glad that sonarr has made such a useful product.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.