Different download client category tags for ended series

Hello everyone, this is my second post.

Love the program and I only have 2 issues with Sonarr and this is one of them…

I have all my ongoing series monitored within Sonarr and all my ended series not monitored, ideally I want everything to be monitored but for some bizarre reason Sonarr only lets you have one category to assign to downloads that get sent to your download client. And I don’t want everything to be tagged with just one category.

Basically I want/need the ability for Sonarr to be able to assign more than one category and send that to the download client. This could be done by either having Sonarr utilise the tags you can assign to individual series or by adding a more comprehensive category section within the download client section in settings.

For example, for airing TV I use the label in my download client TV (Ongoing) and for ended TV I use the category TV (Not Ongoing).

There is a good reason that I do this, I DO NOT use completed download handling because I manually encode everything that I download to keep up with my standards or organisation and I have a massive media library 50+TB, airing and ended series are stored on different hard drives and I find it essential to manually encode everything that I download to make every file compatible with iTunes and I need ended shows to be separated from ongoing shows plus the fact that they are very different in nature; With ongoing shows you are most likely downloading individual episodes and with ended TV shows you are more likely to download whole seasons or even whole series at a time and I need to be able to manually check those ended series before I encode them.

Not to mention in would be nice to give certain shows a higher priority than others, but thats a different issue.

Anyway, after I download TV shows I treat ongoing and ended shows differently to each other and those categories have different priority settings within my download client and I would like the ability for Sonarr to let me do this.

At the moment, the only way I can get ended series marked with the correct label within SABnzbd is to NOT download them through Sonarr, but instead manually download them through my indexer (NZBgeek) by sending them to the cart and then assigning the cart as an RSS feed within SABnzbd and assigning everything that comes from that RSS feed to be marked with the label TV (Not Ongoing). Or to grab them with Sonarr and then manually change the label within SABnzbd to TV (Not Ongoing). But doing things this way is obviously a massive pain and I would like this feature added.

FYI I use SABnzbd as my download client.

Thank you.

I think this would fall under

Tags on the series would be used to link it to a specific download client with one or more of the same tags.

That looks like sending certain shows based on their tags to different download clients, that is not what I am requesting.

I am requesting the ability to have multiple labels/tags/categories for individual download clients based on the series tags.

So if a series tag is EXAMPLE then it should be tagged with the category EXAMPLE when its sent to the download client.

It’s flexible in that regard, it could either be used with multiple clients or the same client added multiple times.

The problem with using the tag as the category is supporting multiple tags on a series as there would be no way to choose which tag to use and while it’s easy to say, just use the first one, it’s not practical if you want to change tags later. It also doesn’t work for filtering items coming back from the download clients since the category could be anything and you start bleeding knowledge of different things into different parts of the codebase.

Yeah I understand your point. Really the best solution for this in my opinion would be to add a category field in the series edit section just like tags then you could keep them separated and tags could be used for their own purposes like notifications and whatnot. And when there is no category assigned to a series it would just revert to the default category as set in the download client settings.

I honestly think that a lot of people would use this, for example some shows could have a higher priority when added to the download client if needed.

This is what I need I believe. Currently I have 2 Tv show libraies in Plex, TV Shows and Children TV.

Would love to be able to have the kids shows that auto download be automatically sorted into their own directory and not have me needed to move them.

Having a the option to change the catagory for individual shows would be awesome!

I also need this for the same reasons as @Seefy. This would simplify my media management tremendously!

I already do this. With Sonarr you just need to specify a different “Path” no need for your torrent/nzb client to handle them any differently.

And before you go off on one about how you have a huge library blah blah blah I also have a library that is getting on the large side.

Harroguk, with all due respect moving the shows to a different location is not a viable option for everyone.

Especially those who don’t use completed download handling.

What happens when the amount of shows exceeds the hard drive or location allocated to that category? Then things get real dicey. Would you have kids, kids 2, kids 3 all on different hard drives?

That’s a fine idea for small libraries, but not so good for big libraries. I see you have 12,000 video files in your sonarr library. I have 58,000 and that isn’t even close to half of my TV library, a friend of mine monitors the rest. When libraries get that large things become not so easily managed and we need more options to handle this kind of thing.

And nobody thinks this is a competition about who has the biggest library, it’s just about requesting features that would be useful to us and our workflows. But it’s pretty important that I state the size of my library because it effects every aspect of how I handle things.

This would be a fantastic feature to add, a lot of people would use it.

[quote=“iamthatom, post:9, topic:13430”]
What happens when the amount of shows exceeds the hard drive or location allocated to that category? Then things get real dicey. Would you have kids, kids 2, kids 3 all on different hard drives?
[/quote]No, I don’t have things on different drives because I RAID them into a single volume. Run out of space then add more space to your RAID.

Even if you did need to move stuff to a different drive then plex will handle multiple locations into a single library so you would only need to have one library.

[quote=“iamthatom, post:9, topic:13430”]
I see you have 12,000 video files in your sonarr library. I have 58,000 and that isn’t even close to half of my TV library,
[/quote]Number of files is actually irrelevant because most of that is old media that has already been handled and is no longer changed/modified or managed by Sonarr. A more useful metric would be the number of active shows, even that isnt great as it doesnt really identify how many shows you are dealing with on a daily basis.

If you are dealing with hudreds or thousands of shows a day then torrent sites are definitely not the way you should be doing it, take a look in usenet.

This would be a fantastic idea. For You.
But as has been already stated its not a fantastic idea for the 99%.
If Sonarr doesn’t do what you need it to then maybe you need a different solution?

1. No it’s not irrelevant, everything in my Sonarr is monitored, even old episodes. I have over 40TB of tv and that’s not including 20tb of movies, I would like to see the average joe afford to have a complete raid backup of every file and if you use raid and don’t have a complete backup then that’s just a disaster waiting to happen. Get off your high horse mate, not every situation will work with your proposed solution. Although your input and opinion is completely valid.

As I said before this has nothing to do with who has the bigger library, but these things need to be taken into account when talking about your proposed solution so it is not irrelevant. All we want is the ability to have more than one category to assign to downloads based on tags or something new that can be added that is along the lines of tags.

1. I don’t use torrents, never said that I did, I use usenet.

2. Yeah it’s useful to me, and the two other people that said it would be useful to them and this is a new post, you just wait for lots of others to say that it ts useful to them.

I said before, sure your solution might work for some, but it ain’t the final end all solution, it’s a band-aid solution and in my case it is not viable, I don’t use completed download handling so it is competely useless to me.

A work around in your case would be to run two separate installs of Sonarr, One for “ongoing” shows, one for “ended” shows.

Each install using a different category in the Download Client config.

Once a series ends you can migrate it using the “Import Existing Series on Disk” to the “Ended” install and remove it from the “Ongoing” install

I appreciate the suggestion but you can’t run two instances of anything on Mac.

I originally did that for a while, having one instance on my Mac mini server and another on my iMac, however that’s impractical and I use the Mac mini as a server and the entire point of setting up a server was so the computers that access it don’t have to be on all the time

Does

open -n /Applications/Sonarr.app/

not work to run multiple instances? Im not really a Mac person.

Yeah it is possible to use terminal or script editor to run multiple instances of some programs on macOS but with the way Mac is set up I don’t think it would be possible to do that with Sonarr. I don’t trust the preferences settings working properly with two instances open, some things might become corrupt and I’m just not willing to take that risk. Good suggestion though.

Windows works differently, it supports multiple instances of programs, however I’m still not sure if sonarr would even work that way on Windows?

I have Windows on my iMac and MacBook Pro but I only use it for gaming.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.