Daily backup of Sonarr

I want to backup Sonarr daily.
I cannot change the built-in backup frequency from weekly.
The backup and sync tools that came with my Synology nas won’t allow me to backup anything in “programdata”. (sonarr is not running on the nas)
I have to stop the service before backing up and restart it after backup.
A continuous sync would surely be working constantly and unnecessary.

It seems I need to research a backup program that will allow pre and post backup scripts.
Write scripts to stop and start the service.
Or schedule independent start/stop tasks at times before and after the backup schedule.

But maybe someone knows of a simple way to do daily backups.

OK, I found an old free program called Cobian Backup. It is simple to put pre and post backup events to stop and restart the service by selecting it from a list.

In v3 you can change the schedule, or you can use the API and schedule your own task to call it: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Command#backup

I would not recommend stopping and starting Sonarr to capture a backup with another program when there are built-in tasks for that.

Great news. When v3 is out of Beta I will upgrade.
Calling an API from a scheduled task is another research effort I can look at.

For now, I have it working great just stopping and starting the service.
You say you don’t recommend it “when there are built in tasks for it”.
I can understand that.
But surely it is ‘safe’ to do is it not?

Depends on how it’s being stopped, stopping the service in Windows should be fine, but also aborts any tasks it was in the middle of. If it was refreshing all series and gets killed half way through it’s going to restart it and potentially redo everything it’s already done.

I have downloaded Sonarr beta v3 and am trying the configure the backup to daily. I can’t see where this is done. Is it in the UI?

Settings - General (enable advanced settings).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.