Cant add existing shows to sonarr from networking share (Storage Pool)

Good day,

I am in the process of setting sonarr up and I am trying to upload all my existing shows that is currently on my network drive. When I try the UNC path to my file server it claims “Path is not valid”. I also tried by the server/host name and still same result. Everyone has full control on the share and can read and write to it without any problems. I also tried running sonarr with the same account that has full access to the file server and still same result.

My setup:
Server Node: 2012R2 - Running Storage Pool along with Hyper-v 3.0.
Storage Pool: Contains 1 virtual disk for “Media” and is being shared out

VM #1 - Sonarr server that is taking care of my downloads. VM #1 can map the network drive “Media” from Server Node without any problems, however when I try to enter this path in sonarr either by the mapped letter or full UNC path no go “Cant find path”.

So I took it to the next level and created a iSCSI vdisk from my storage pool and attached the disk to my hyper-v vm aka VM#1 and I was able to browse/add the disk without any issues to sonarr. So it seems to me that sonarr does not work well with map network drives or UNC path and instead physical drives/attached DAS (direct attached storage).

I might be over thinking this and it might not like MS storage pools period.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you kindly.
Paul

Running as a service it won’t work well with Mapped Network Drives (it might work for a period of time, but eventually it will fail), it definitely works with UNC paths though, as long as the user running Sonarr has access to the share.

In the case of a network share Sonarr has no way to know what the underlying structure is, single disk or MS storage pools, so unless the storage pools are messing up the SMB share it should be fine.

What path are you using for the SMB path?

Thanks markus101 for the quick reply.

The SMB Path I am trying is \server-host\media\TvShows

However I believe I know what the problem is. The share is set for everyone to have read access, however these servers are not in a domain they are just in “Working” group. Even though everyone has full control I don’t think sonarr sees that. Yes I can run as the application but can only run it with users that are locate on VM #1 since none of these servers are part of a domain (No domain controller).

Thanks again,

Update:

I ended up working around this situation by creating another virtual disk and attach it to the vm server directly which than makes it as a local disk. The issue I was having was clearly a permission issue but without a domain controller for cross user authentication it will never work.

Regards,