Best approach for local install to a remote client?

Hey all,
I’m new to the forums but not new to Sonarr… I tend to just try to figure things out myself.
However I currently have a Seedbox with Sonarr installed. I don’t use remote mapping I have a 3rd party app that brings the files to my local server for Plex locally and use rclone from the seedbox to upload to Amazon for Plex in the cloud. It works well but feels kinda restrictive.

What I would really like is to run Sonarr locally (so I can have all my 20TB of TV shows in Sonarr) connecting to the remote client, so having never used or needed it, I’m guessing this is where remote path mapping comes in.
I obviously still need all the renaming to happen remotely so its still in a Plex user format for Plex on Amazon (via rclone.)
Is this even possible… and if so what would be my best approach. I’m guessing that I can either use my existing 3rd party program to either sync the renamed files directly to my current local Plex TV show structure but this obviously means that sonarr doesn’t really see what’s happening.
Or I can sync to a drone factory folder locally (even though the files are already renamed) and let that import to my local TV Show structure.

Worst case scenario is I guess I can stay as I am and also just install Sonarr locally with no downloading or processing… just simply to monitor for missing episodes locally? (which is the key thing I’m trying to achieve.)
I’m just wondering if remote path mapping offers me any other alternatives?

Yes, that + something that let’s Sonarr see the files mounted locally, such as sshfs.

That wouldn’t happen, Sonarr would rename it as it imported it.

Either would work, but Sonarr wouldn’t know about the files until it rescanned (up to 12 hours later). Drone Factory is not recommended and you’d be best off using the API to tell Sonarr when to import since Drone factory is considered deprecated and may import something before it’s fully transferred.

I obviously still need all the renaming to happen remotely so its still in a Plex user format for Plex on Amazon

That wouldn’t happen, Sonarr would rename it as it imported it.

Ok so with a local setup the renaming cant be made to happen remotely? Therefore not having the remote files in a Plex friendly format ready to rclone up to ACD ?
No worries, So I guess my best option then will be to leave it all on the remote install with a local install that just gives me an insight into any missing episodes?
I can live with it being up to 12 hours behind if I sync the files home directly into my Plex TV show directory.

Thanks for clearing things up Markus :slight_smile:

No, it’s renamed during the import, not renamed then imported.

Yeah, that’d be the issue.

You could still have Sonarr import them, but you’d also need something else to rename them for Plex’s benefit.

Yeah I actually have Filebot installed on the seedbox and messed with that.
One of the options Filebot has is called keeplink… Its like symlink in reverse. The renamed files would be moved to the Movie/TV show directory and the hyperlink stays in the download directory for seeding.
Sadly the seedbox provider refuses to support it in their Filebot script as they say they have seen it break things fast.
Anyway thanks for listening. I can live with a local install just to monitor my shows at home.
Oh btw… I realised after my earlier post that syncing back home directly to my finished TV show directory wouldn’t work. I upgrade to BluRay when available so will still need to sync to the local Drone factory folder to delete the lower quality episode… Please tell me its not in the plans to totally remove drone factory.

Drone Factory will be removed in v3. For advanced setups you can use the API or for one off imports you can use manual import instead.

No worries… One other thing that I have seen requested here on the forums and reddit etc…
Reverse Symlinking. Any further thoughts on this?
I actually discovered its even in Sickrage now . I really don’t wanna back down that road tough, but I suspect that when you eventually pull the plug on Drone Factory it will be my only option.
Anyway thanks for all the help :grinning:

I’d imagine if we did reverse symlink support we’d do it if/when we add symlink support, but neither is a priority at the moment.

Oh wow. It seems until now I had no idea how a hardlink/symlink actually works.
I just reverted from copy to hardlink for the first time since I used this seedbox.
Way back last time when I first tried it I ended up with lots of link files in my processed media directory. I blamed it on Sonarr and switched to copy. What I had forgotten was that the seedbox had a filebot script running.
I never associated the two things… I turned the filebot script off, but never actually went back to hardlinks in Sonarr, until just now.
Its actually doing exactly what I hoped it would do. Not knowing initially that the Filebot script was even running it obviously gave me a false impression of how a hardlink works.

Finally going back to the eventual removal of drone factory. Seeing as my home sonar installation does absolutely nothing except monitor the drone factory folder when my 3rd party ftp app syncs the files home, I can just simply turn off updates and let it carry on doing its thing?

Light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks Markus.

1 Like

I think so? Depends what you mean by updates.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.