Behavior During Updates

Hi,

Is Sonarr expected to automatically restart after an update? My installation doesn’t appear to be doing so; I need to manually start it up since I would find it down after the process.

Thank you.

Sonarr version (exact version): 2.0.0.5163
Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows): 4.2.1

If that happens then you likely don’t have the Restart= and KillMode= parameters correctly in your systemd unit file (if you use that).
Either way, check the updatelog file.

It appears I relied too much on these one-click setups. When I did check, there wasn’t any auto-start method at all in place. :crazy_face:

We plan to include a systemd unit file in sonarr v3 (major backward incompat release) but it’s tricky coz you have to setup the right user and group otherwise you’d get permission issues. So it’s a bit damned if we do, damned if we don’t.
But our wiki (on github) has examples for various auto-start mechanisms.

I agree, it’s tricky. Won’t you consider using Cron? I did. It’s a bit of an icky solution but you’ll run into far less issues regarding permissions and availability.

cron is a pretty bad choice from a service perspective. Sonarr runs 24/7. cron is a scheduler.

What’s using Cron is a tiny script that checks whether or not Sonarr is running every x minutes; it restarts it if it doesn’t. Seed boxes don’t typically allow access to real init daemons (at least from experience), so there’s that.

systemd has support for user-account level unit files.

You’re right–I got it working after a minor headache. :joy: I had to remove the user and group directives, move the unit file to ~/.config/systemd/user/, and start it with the correct option i.e. systemctl --user. Thank you!

Awesome, nicely done!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.